Princeton Reverb Build Minus The Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Princeton Reverb Build Minus The Reverb

Hey guys im looking to build a 65 Princeton reverb into a head cabinet without the reverb section of the circuit. I was thinking the AA1164 schematic because ive seen kits online based off of them. Im no electronics genius by any stretch but my room mate is so I was wondering if anyone could mabey isolate what needs to be removed from the AA1164 circuit in order for me to get that Princeton tone in a head format without the reverb tank. Parts suggestions would be helpful too. Basically treat me like I dont know Jack so i can explain things to my room mate who should be able to make sense of it all.

Thanks

Take a look at the AA964 Princeton schematic instead. A Princeton without reverb is just a Princeton....Two preamp tubes instead of four. If you're looking for the extra gain stage the reverb model uses to mix the reverb singal back in, you'd have to add that triode stage from the AA1164 schematic. You'd have the other half of the tube doing nothing though. Your room mate should be able to look at the differences between the two circuits anyway.
    Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
    Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

If you dont want or need the tremolo, you could use the 1/2 12ax7 for the extra gain stage instead of adding another tube.
      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
      - Yogi Berra

Comment

Yeah thats pretty much what im looking at doing. Im just looking for around a 10-15 watt setup with tons of clean headroom and a decent tone stack.

Comment

Another option - omit the tremolo and use the 2nd tube for a LTPI, basically like the "Normal channel' of Fender amps.
          "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
          - Yogi Berra

Comment

Note that if you omit the reverb circuit but keep the added gain stage the amp will roar like an amp on steroids. There is a 3M3 reverb mixing resistor in the circuit that causes a large drop in gain in the stock circuit. If you leave this out the increase in gain is quite astounding, you may or may not like it. If you want an amp that roars, than go for it, but realize it might be hard to control. If you want a mellower amp go with the Princeton amp as GibsonLover advised above.

Also note, if you only need one triode you can use a 6AV6 instead of a 12AX7. Vintage 6AV6 tubes are cheap and plentiful.

6av6, Electronics, Collectibles items on eBay.com

Comment

Working...
            X