help identify old electronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help identify old electronics

ive been tearing apart random old electronics, and ive come across some things i would like to have some help identifying... i know that the middle ones are diodes, but i wanna know if they are germanium, if you know... and i think the one on the left is a germanium transistor. i want to make a treble booster... so i thought id see if i could use that, but thought id ask someone who'd know more than me... i have no idea what the thing on the right is.

numbers/labels (left to right)

30243 6728 cdc
    1n 4384 GI
    d100 5310
    gen inst

if any of you can help identify because im kinda a newbie to older components,

thanks
    Attached Files

on the right is an EIA mica cap 46pF +9%, what do I win?

Comment

Ted is right about the mica cap on the right, though I'd wager it is a 47pf. That blue dot was probably violet earlier in life.

The transistor and second diode have house numbers, so who knows what they are. Might help to know what they came from. 30243 is probably the part number while 6728 is likely a date code - 28th week of 1967. Same with the canned diode.

The 1n4384 is a plain old silicon rectifier. 1A 400v. Mouser sells them for 20 cents.

Set your meter to diode test function. measure the can diode. If it comes out something between .45v and .7v, it is sislicon. If it comes back aboiut .2 to .3v, then it is probably germanium.

You can test the transistor that way too. You have three legs. There will be one leg that tests like a diode to each of the other two, but the other two will check open one from the other. The one that checks to the other two is the base. It is probably the leg in the middle. It could be either NPN or PNP, we learn that from the polarity of the test. In any case, if the diode test readings com out over .4 or under .3 as in the previous example, you will know if it is silicon or germanium. I'd be thinking silicon myself, sorry, but you wil know for sure when you test it.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The transistor is probably a silicon, but you can do as Enzo said and test it with your meter to see at what voltage the junction conducts.

The CDC is a house marking for Control Data Corp. They made computer boards back in the 60-70's.

Comment

That makes more sense than Center for Disease Control.

I forgot all about COntrol Data. They used to be a big name in computers.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X