Pics and a sound clip of my Bassman project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics and a sound clip of my Bassman project

I built this amp last fall and have been tweaking on it since. It's a clone of a 5B6 Bassman with some slight tweaks. I finally got around to recording some clips of it (attached). I built it from an old organ amplifier from the 40's, entire cost was around $200. I'm calling it basically done so I figured I'd show how it turned out.

Deviations from the original circuit... biased the preamp tube a little hotter, exchanged the treble rolloff for a bass rolloff, and of course a three-wire power cord.

If there's a weak spot on this amp it's the tone control. The bass can be really overpowering on say a tele neck pickup. This may me be due in part to the enormous OT (I imagine organ amplifiers need some bottom end). A mid cut may be nice as well. I went with a single pot for the tone on the chassis and that kind of limited me down the road.

Pics:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3002/...13e8f797_b.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3270/...70593aa4_b.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3022/...60276a21_b.jpg

Sound clip:

SoundClick artist: Zhyla's Imaginary Band - page with MP3 music downloads

This is just a regular Telecaster straight into the amp. The cab is an open back 1x12 w/ Eminence Swamp Thang speaker and is mic'd with an SM57 clone about 1 foot from the cab. There's some clicks in there that are a problem with my recording interface, not the amp. The amp is also not responsible for my amateur playing .

Thanks a ton to everyone who answered my dumb questions for this. I won't remember everyone but I know Enzo and MWJB were both extremely helpful.
    Check out my signal generator for your iPhone or iPod Touch.

I like the chassis graphics. How did you do that?
    Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
    Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

Laser printer decal paper. You print anything you want onto it, cut it out, and do the waterslide decal thing like for model airplanes when you were a kid. It worked out well but I didn't do a good job aligning the labels vertically with each other.

Comment

Very tidy looking amp. Nice. I love that gritty bluesman tone.

Is that an aluminium chassis (or steel?)

How well do you find that the decal's stay put?
        Last edited by tubeswell; 05-21-2009, 07:46 PM.
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

It's a steel chassis - I don't think they made aluminum chassis back then . It's heavy as hell, though the ~12 lbs of iron are mostly to blame for that.

The decals adhere pretty well but then you seal the whole thing with a sealer. I used some glossy acrylic spray for that. At that point they're pretty much permanent unless you go scraping at the finish with a knife. I think it's a great way to do labels cheaply if you can live with the slight edge around the decal.

Comment

Working...
          X