Gibson Humbucker Covers...who makes them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Humbucker Covers...who makes them

Does anyone know the company that makes Gibson's Humbucker covers.

Are they USA made or made overseas?
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

I don't know who makes them but I have a brand new pair here you can trade me for. The neck is 50mm and the bridge 53mm. They don't look right to me to be honest. A bit too square.
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Probably don't look at all right. I heard thay were a pair of korean covers you were ageing in your underpants on a jogging run and forgot they were there and sat on them and squared them off.

Comment

I'd imagine Gibson have their covers made for them. Same with their hardware.

They aren't buying commercially available parts.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
          Probably don't look at all right. I heard thay were a pair of korean covers you were ageing in your underpants on a jogging run and forgot they were there and sat on them and squared them off.
          Who's been following me? It's that Sam Lee Guy again isn't it.
          sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Speaking of covers... has anyone had any luck having covers made?

I'm looking to have some non standard size metal covers made, but I'm not sure where to begin.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

I don't know who makes them now, but Schaller was making them for a long time.

Comment

mentioned these people about 15mths ago David. May be worth a call or a look at their catalogue.
                He can't fool me Spence he's running around pretending to be a take away delivery guy. Ninja winder on a scooter.

http://www.jjorly.com/
                Attached Files
                Last edited by jonson; 06-19-2009, 07:51 PM. Reason: Forgot the bloody link. " No offence meant there Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochild View Post
                  I don't know who makes them now, but Schaller was making them for a long time.
                  Probably still do. I think they make most of Gibson's hardware.

Comment

mentioned these people about 15mths ago David. May be worth a call or a look at their catalogue.

Deep Drawn Enclosures, G10 FR4 and Phenolic | JJ Orly, Inc.
                    Oh I remember that now! I wasn't looking for metal covers at the time, but I recently got a custom order for one of my pickups inside a Gibson T-Bird cover.

It looks so cool that I want to do some others.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yeah Very nice, allthough looks from the pic like a separate top and sides, or is it the light. I have no trouble with shallow covers, it's the deep ones that give me probs so I would probably resort to making a set of sides and tig a top plate in and grind and polish in the old fashioned way to acheive the same effect if it was only one or two.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                        Probably still do. I think they make most of Gibson's hardware.
                        I'll be writing them next week about trems, and i'll pop that question in there. They make a nice looking floyd rose.

Comment

Yeah Very nice, allthough looks from the pic like a separate top and sides, or is it the light. I have no trouble with shallow covers, it's the deep ones that give me probs so I would probably resort to making a set of sides and tig a top plate in and grind and polish in the old fashioned way to acheive the same effect if it was only one or two.
                          It's all one piece, it's just the refection. It's a NOS Gibson part the customer bought on eBay. It also has a chrome trim ring.

How do you go about making covers? You usually have some good tricks.

Comment

How I make them was all in this old post David. http://music-electronics-forum.com/t3387/
                            But they are very shallow covers and do not have too many problems involved. Deep covers as we all know are double drawn and punches to do so are not in the homebrew price bracket. As I said if you are going to only do a few then I would definatly go the old panel beaters way of cutting and shaping the sides round a wooden former and cutting a top and tig welding it all together. Grinding and polishing would then give a good looking cover. Local engineering and sheet fabricator would do some of that work quite reasonably priced I would think.
                            Yuo've set my mind thinking about doing another tutorial about just this maybe, but I did say I would do a pic follow up to the casting thread and got to find time for that yet. Why can't we have 48 hour days it would be much easier.

Comment

Ah yes, I remember the Rowe post. That made me think that even just a more shallow metal top on the pickup would look quite nice.

I remember reading that the original Travis Bean pickup covers were made from folded and soldered sheet brass.

Comment

Working...
                              X