A broken pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A broken pickup?

Okay, I know most people would tell me it is easy to work out when a pickup is faulty.

I had a magnetic pickup from an acoustic guitar to look at. I thought the volume and tone controls on this pickup looked rather fragile so it is probable that I will find damaged pots.

This wasn't the case at all if fact, next I wired the pickup directly to a jack and the only time I heard a peep from the pickup was when I touched the steel base plate (like a Tele pickup.)

Next came the Fluke 77 multimeter, it told me the pickups resistance was 7.7K, I thought this would be typical of a single coil pickup used for this application.

I even made sure there was a magnetic field from the bar magnet at the core of the windings.

So why would it measure 7.7K and I'm not hearing a peep from it?

Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott

Need more info. Brand of pickup? When you say a peep, in what way? If you tap the top of the pickup with something ferrous does it make a sound? ...and not to be insulting, but other people with problems may be reading this for centuries to come..... did someone install a magnetic soundhole pickup on a classical guitar with Nylon strings? I've seen that one before

Comment

I can't see any brand on the pickup. It just states acoustic guitar pickup.

The pickup came off a steel string guitar and I put the pickup up close to the strings of my electric guitar to see if it worked.

Regarding the peep. When I touched the base plate, I heard noise as if I was holding the tip and earth of a lead. The plate was attached to one side of the coil, so it is understandable that I'd hear noise when I touched the plate.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetfinger View Post
        did someone install a magnetic soundhole pickup on a classical guitar with Nylon strings? I've seen that one before
        Yeah, me too!
        Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
        Milano, Italy

Comment

Working...
        X