Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danelectro Twin Twelve

Hi Gang!

I have a Danelectro Twin Twelve Model 300 that's been in the shop for 2 years because my tech can't find a schematic. (Apparently the schematics are even rarer than the amps themselves.) The amp is barely audible (and dirty) no matter what volume setting it's on.

Any help would be most greatly appreciated.

BTW, I may sometimes go a day or so between check-ins, so if I do not immediately thank someone for their answer, do not take it as ingratitude, please!

Originally posted by Dan-O Twelve View Post
    I have a Danelectro Twin Twelve Model 300 that's been in the shop for 2 years because my tech can't find a schematic. (Apparently the schematics are even rarer than the amps themselves.) The amp is barely audible (and dirty) no matter what volume setting it's on.

Any help would be most greatly appreciated.
    What is it that you are asking for, repair help, help finding a schematic or suggestions on a new tech that can fix your amp without a schematic?

I Googled "Danelectro Twin Twelve" and found 3 places that had leads on or actually have service information on your amp for sale.

It's just a tube amp, and unless someone has removed parts or rewired extensively it should be repairable without a schematic.

Comment

And...There is probably a Silvertone equivalent, maybe a 1484. It should be easy enough to figure out like Bill says. If it has been in a shop 2 years find another shop. The old "can't find a schematic, parts are unavailable, or (for later stuff) needs a board" excuses are clear signs of incompetence or they just don't want to mess with it and are shining you on. I made a living for years repairing stuff that was deemed unfixable or uneconomically repairable. Usually it was just a matter troubleshooting for a couple of dollars in caps. You also want to know if they messed it up.

Comment

While there are many lazy/incompetent techs out there, this fella isn't one of them (he's done good work for me), but I appreciate your words o'caution. In my tech's defense, the previous owner sez some idiot tried to fix it and messed it up really well. (It was a gift from a friend. An amp this cool, I accepted it gladly even though it was hosed.)

So I guess what I need is a schematic. Like I said, my tech is not given to lame excuses, and I think if he knew where to go with what he says is a very quirky design, he could make it whole.

Comment

Well, I just paid for a danguitars.com schematic pdf and when they get back from vacation on 7/20 I'll see the schematic in my In Box. Hopefully it won't be for the Silvertone Twin Twelve, which 99% of my Google hits were: "Danelectro/Silvertone Twin Twelve," as if they were the same amp! Geez, even a naif like me knows better than that (LOL): I HAD a Silvertone Twin Twelve, and my tech did a super job keeping it rocking most bodaciously.
          (He's worked without a schematic before: he managed to keep my solid-state '68 Vox Nova rocking, after the other Boston-area amp techs (both of them ;-) did the sign of the cross and said "no, man, sorry, I don't mess with solid state.")
          Anyway, if in the meantime any of you in Forum Land have any other insights, I am both eager and grateful.
          Rock On!
          (cue the "goat" finger symbol popularized in "School of Rock" flick

Comment

Here's a Dano Twin 15: http://www.schematicheaven.com/barga...win15_1961.pdf
            Is it similar? Frankly, Dano made a lot if not most of the Silvertone amps in the early 60s and many were exactly the same with a different cabinet. There are Dan Twin Twelves that are 1484s and 85s in a Dano box or vis versa. I would look at the tube chart and match it to the appropriate Silvertone. Chances are it will be the same as one of them.

Comment

It's very cool of you to share your expertise like this. I'm forwarding my tech the URL now.
              Big Thanks!

Comment

I'm a little late to the conversation, but I just stumbled across this thread. I have a Danelectro Twin Twelve, Model 300, Series F. It was built in 1962. My father bought it new in August 1965 from a local department store.

At one time we had the instructions and schematic, which were, I believe, one sheet of paper. Unfortunately, the last time I saw them was about 30 years ago.

Wanting to do some repairs myself, I sat down with pen and paper and traced it out wire for wire. Although there is no exact Silvertone equivalent, many sections are similar. I downloaded as many as I could find and used them to verify my own drawing and to get a better idea on how the overall layout of the schematic should look.

I then took my hand drawings and redrew them as neatly as possible in AutoCAD, as it was the most convenient tool I had. I still might make a few minor tweaks to the drawing, but it's very readable and, IMHO, somewhat professional looking. From AutoCAD I exported it as a PDF.

If anyone is interested in a copy of the PDF (or the AutoCAD .dwg file) I'd be more than happy to email it to you. Just let me know. Be aware, though, that, when I originally drew it, the plan was to print out a fairly large copy. It is still readable when printed on 8.5 X 11 paper, but the text is a little small. The resolution is high enough, though, that even at maximum zoom in Adobe Reader, it is still very clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Zee View Post
                  I'm a little late to the conversation, but I just stumbled across this thread. I have a Danelectro Twin Twelve, Model 300, Series F. It was built in 1962. My father bought it new in August 1965 from a local department store.

At one time we had the instructions and schematic, which were, I believe, one sheet of paper. Unfortunately, the last time I saw them was about 30 years ago.

Wanting to do some repairs myself, I sat down with pen and paper and traced it out wire for wire. Although there is no exact Silvertone equivalent, many sections are similar. I downloaded as many as I could find and used them to verify my own drawing and to get a better idea on how the overall layout of the schematic should look.

I then took my hand drawings and redrew them as neatly as possible in AutoCAD, as it was the most convenient tool I had. I still might make a few minor tweaks to the drawing, but it's very readable and, IMHO, somewhat professional looking. From AutoCAD I exported it as a PDF.

If anyone is interested in a copy of the PDF (or the AutoCAD .dwg file) I'd be more than happy to email it to you. Just let me know. Be aware, though, that, when I originally drew it, the plan was to print out a fairly large copy. It is still readable when printed on 8.5 X 11 paper, but the text is a little small. The resolution is high enough, though, that even at maximum zoom in Adobe Reader, it is still very clear.
                  PM sent

Comment

i have a twin twelve 300 series too. i am trying to fix this sucker up as well. is there any info out there for an electronic novice? i know about checking tubes and swapping them out and that is about it. my reverb does not work (removed it just to get a look at it) and my amp has low low volume as is... think i am running on one speaker....anyway, any help would be great.

Comment

First off, a thousand apologies to those who requested a copy of my Twin Twelve schematic. While I do pop in here fairly regularly, I don’t post much and, therefore, don’t log in often. I got a couple requests about 6 months ago via PM which I didn’t see until today.

If anyone is still interested, reply here or send an email to amd390@sbcglobal.net and I’ll send it to you.

Also, a copy of the original Danelectro schematic is included in the book “Neptune Bound” by Doug Tulloch, but I like mine a little better. :-)

As to John316’s questions, “electronics novice” can mean different things to different people. I’ll assume you can use a multimeter and a soldering iron. An easy and safe (power off) thing you can do is check all the resistors. I think I replaced 5 in mine that had either opened or drifted significantly out of tolerance.

All the capacitors in mine are original, including the 50 year old “guaranteed for one year” Planet electrolytics. I have newer tubes in mine, but still have all the working originals. You might get lucky and get it working with a few new resistors.

The reverb uses piezo crystals at each end of the spring. They deteriorate over time. Mine essentially turned to powder. I got the reverb working again with new piezo discs I found online. It was a pretty simple fix. Most consider Danelectro reverb a joke and not worth the effort to fix, but the Twin Twelve reverb sounds way better than some Silvertones I’ve heard. I kind of like it.

I hope that gets you started.

Comment

Why not simply post your schematic right here.
                        (Go advanced, Manage attachments, Add files, Browse, Upload)

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                          Why not simply post your schematic right here.
                          (Go advanced, Manage attachments, Add files, Browse, Upload)
                          I've tried, but I can't seem to get that to work. It just hangs after I click upload.

Comment

Sometimes it does take a while, depending on your Internet connection.
                            Also, there is a 3 Meg limit I believe.

Comment

SO how does it compare to the Twin 15 schematic at Schematic heaven?

http://www.webphix.com/schematic%20h...win15_1961.pdf
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X