Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(non-tube) Sessionette 75: repair or gut? Any more info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (non-tube) Sessionette 75: repair or gut? Any more info?

Apparently the Session Sessionette 75 amps were/are made in England; they're based on TL072 opamps in the preamp and a couple of fets for the power amp. (Beats me why it says "bi-fet preamp".) I got this for free from a friend, the power amp is defective. I disconnected the power amp and listened through headphones, it sounded very poor.
    I'm a tube amp enthusiast (I don't have anything digital or transistorized in my house) so my first thought was to gut it and use the cabinet and chassis for a nice small tube project.

Would that be a waste of a good amp (when repaired) or are these sessionettes beginner's amps? There seem to be a lot of them around on ebay and such, I was wondering what the story is behind these amps. They're not collectible are they?

No not collectible particularly, but very useful amps, with a good clean sound and an immense amount of clean headroom. Take pedals well. I have one which I lend out to people who've left an amp for repair and lack a spare; they are often surprised how useful it is.

The original firm went out of business, but the designer and original manufacturer, Steward Ward, still supports the amps and will sell you parts and advise on repairs. Here's his website:

Award Session Website. Welcome to award-session.com [AwardSession Website], guitar amps and music amplifiers

I guess 'bi-fet preamp' refers to the presence of fets in the TL071/072s in there.

Comment

Texas Instruments marketed the TL07x as "BiFet" op-amps, because they contain a JFET input stage while the rest of the op-amp is ordinary bipolar transistors. So that's presumably why it's called a BiFet preamp. Like all op-amp circuits, it'll be completely clean unless the designer deliberately added distortion circuitry.

I looked at the Session website, and I like his advertising...

Award Session. Welcome to award-session.com [Why choose Award Session]

"We use real TO3 power transistors, not those crappy chips you find in Marshalls"... a man after my own heart
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I've been reading on that site (the pdf about the history is fun!) and it seems these amps were designed and built by passionate people. That's why I think it would be a waste to gut it. I've ordered the power module (replacements are available and not too expensive). I'm very curious what it will sound like...

Comment

Hi
          If you ever need the amp to be serviced, I have had a few thru my workshop. Great little amps and fantastic sound.
          I can also supply and/or install a new replacement power amp for the Sessionette 75 and other session models and matches the exact input and output specs of the old albeit now more reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by vanslycken View Post
            Apparently the Session Sessionette 75 amps were/are made in England; they're based on TL072 opamps in the preamp and a couple of fets for the power amp. (Beats me why it says "bi-fet preamp".) I got this for free from a friend, the power amp is defective. I disconnected the power amp and listened through headphones, it sounded very poor.
            I'm a tube amp enthusiast (I don't have anything digital or transistorized in my house) so my first thought was to gut it and use the cabinet and chassis for a nice small tube project.

Would that be a waste of a good amp (when repaired) or are these sessionettes beginner's amps? There seem to be a lot of them around on ebay and such, I was wondering what the story is behind these amps. They're not collectible are they?
            A bit confused that you say you have nothing digital or transistorised in your house. what sort of device did you use to post the question? No need to answer, just being facetious. Happy new year.
            It's not microphonic - it's undocumented reverb.

Comment

Sorry I forgot about this thread.
              I've ordered the power amp module from the Award-Session people. Apparently they're very busy and after my order from the web shop I heard nothing from them for a while. I kind of lost my temper and sent them a rather harsh e-mail (I was under the assumption I was being conned as I had given my credit card #). Anyhow, they don't debit your credit card unless they actually send you something and finally I got the module. Soldered it in place, and I'm amazed at the sound. Solid state or not, it's very loud and the distortion is quite nice. I use it as a practice amp, and it sure beats a lot of other practice amps....

But thanks for the offer.

Comment

Working...
              X