Sensor recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensor recommendation

I'm about to build my first winder and need a little guidance. I've got a Durant 44611-400 http://www.acornindprod.com/pdfs/cou...Designmate.pdf
    so now I need a sensor for it. Can anyone recommend something for this setup? Proximty, optical, reed I dont know which would work best or if I should also get a power supply for a sensor.

I would personally use an optical counter. I have yet to use one since the inductive prox I use works just fine. The optical should work better and just a little faster than other sensors.

Here is a wiring diagram for the setup I use. It has a reset on the front as well as external reset option. They should be similar however.
    Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Something like this?

FAIRCHILD SEMICONDUCTOR|H21A3|Optoswitch | Newark.com

Comment

Hello,

I finished building my pickup winder out of an old sewing machine about a month ago. I used a Cub4 counter (similar to yours..) I found on Ebay. I used an inductive proximity sensor to trigger my counter (also from Ebay). As has been mentioned on other people's posts, I did have some issues with having "too short" of a pulse at high speeds which caused my counter to miss turns. However I was able to fix this by using a wider piece of metal for my trigger for the sensor. Presently, its about 3/4" long, and I can run the sewing machine at full speed w/o missing a beat (much faster than I want to wind - for sure!).

At least on my cub4 counter, there is a high speed and a low speed trigger input. I used the high speed input.

Also, I had another problem in that when I initally hooked up my prox. sensor to my counter, it wouldn't register any counts at all! Having seen this issue in some past experiences, my remdey was to simply place a 560 ohm resistor between the counter input, and ground.

What was happening here is that the input of the counter was drawing too little current to fully turn on the internal transistor of the prox. so all the resistor did was provide a more suitable load for the prox, and all was well.

As far as noise from the motor falsley triggering the counter, I haven't had any issues. But then I made sure I mounted the prox sensor away from the motor, as well as the counter.

Hope this helps!

-- Mike
        My Geeky blog:
        MikesTechBlog.com

Building my Electric Guitar:
        BuildMyElectricGuitar.com

Comment

Shepherp

Shepherd!!... what the
          Why are YOU here??

Hows it going.

Now this is real wierd now isn't it, no I'm not following you.
          I guess you could say this was our next logical step in our guitar building.

Bill
          http://www.canadianbreed.ca/
          http://www.canadianbreed.com/
          www.facebook.com/Canadianbreed
          www.youtube.com/user/Bobo9977

Comment

Shepherp

dbl post sorry

Comment

LMAO, this is too creepy. Now I keep getting the urge to look out the window expecting to see a guy waving a neck jig in the air.

Comment

Shepherd

Hah... that would be real weird...

So are you building a winder too...
                Where are you at with your pickups?

I think I will order from MOJOTONE as well.

I have a couple os very old single coils out of a Raven Jaguar copy that I will be practicing on, once I unwind them.

Talk to you late.

Bill

Comment

I'm just gathering parts but I've got a ways to go yet. Just finished 3 bodies and I've got 10 necks and 5 bodies on the go so it's not high on the priorities list. Got the motor and counter but I might have to order the rest from Mcmaster-Carr. It really sucks to have to order everything from the states though. Can't even get a damn walnut dowel in this country.
                  Last edited by Shepherd; 08-09-2009, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Shepherd

Hi Shep,

Well I have 3 sets of bodys that I need to joint and glue up, I have 2 necks ready for shaping and another blank to do while I wait for my body to finish curing, I ended up buying a 3/8" dowel bit from leevalley to do headstock insert, are those the dowels you refer too?

I live close to John Kingma so when I get a set of pups done I'll head over to his place and we'll test them out and critique them, should be fun.

Bill

Comment

I've got the plug cutter for the dowel but it's only 3/4" long. I went off the strat neck blueprints and the depth is about twice that. Does that sound right? Maybe that spec is wrong but I end up using two pieces of dowel. Thats why I'm looking locally for the 3-4' dowels. Grizzly has them for $3 but it's a hassle.

Comment

Yup

I had a look at the pdf I got from TDPRI and that sounds about right.

I suppose you could do this but more work.

Probably best to find a source of dowel.
                        Hey why not use a length of 3/8" brass then the wood dowel, Oohhh the tone you'd get!!!

Bill

Comment

Actually, I just got some naval brass to make my saddles, weird. If the dowel is too short it wants to lift up at the front so you have to clamp it. I'll just order them from Grizzly, along with a mahogany neck blank for a LP and a 335, bwahahaha

Comment

Shepherd

Wow, like a scarrry movie.

I just spent an hour wet sanding the clear, its looking real good, I am quite pleased for a first finish.

I have the rest of my hardware on the way plus waterslide decal paper.

My goal is to having this Tele done by the first week of September.

Real exciting stuff.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                            X