Ampeg V4 and the ECC 832

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg V4 and the ECC 832

I just recieved my replacement set of tubes for my Ampeg V4 .Everything is fine accept one tube. The original ampeg tube was a 12DW7. What I was sent was an ECC 832. I can't find that listed anywhere and when I put it in the amp it caused it to lose about 1/2 the power and gave a broken up sound at all volume levels. The conversion charts that I've found say that the correct replacement tube should be a 7247. Does any one know what this ECC 832 tube is ??

I just popped the "original' unmarked tube that came with the amp and every thing is back to normal. This ECC 832 doesn't work well with the V4 unless you want break up at all volumes.

Regards,

Tom

An ECC832 is a 12DW7... however, some were built with the low gain triode on the opposite pin configuration then standard... maybe you have a backwards one.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Bruce,

Thank you.

I have posted this at other sites and as you can imagine, other replies were just that this is the right replacement tube.

There is definitely something wrong with the one I have and I'm glad you had the experience/knowlege to shed some light on this little mystery .

Regards & a Happy New Year,

Tom

Comment

Tom,

If your ECC832/12DW7 tube is actually an ECC823 (the reversed-section tube Bruce mentioned), I'd be very interested in buying it from you if you'd like to sell it. I've tried to get samples of this tube from both JJ and Bob at Eurotubes, with the same reply from each (custom-order only, $1,000 USD minimum).

A quick test would be to plug it into either the V1 or V2 12AX7 positions in your V4; if the gain drops noticeably, it may well be an ECC823.

Thanks and Happy Holidays,
        Ray

Comment

Ray,

I'll try to put it in V1 or V2 today if I can . But will certainly do in the next few days. I have to move it and pull the back off again to get at them.

Regards,

Tom

Comment

Tom,

Didn't mean to put you to any trouble - whenever's convenient is fine, and if you get busy and don't find the time, don't even worry about it.

Thanks,
            Ray

Comment

I wasn't aware that JJ had the $1000 minimum restriction on the reversed 12DW7. If this is one of the reversed ones, I'd be interested too...but of course Ray beat me to it! I'm going to be using a 12DW7 in a build, but I've just wired the socket appropriately to get the stages in the right order. If you sub into an old amp and you had the wrong order in the bottle, you can rewire the socket, but its just as easy to get the correct tube.

Comment

Working...
              X