Hammond-labeled tubes - mfr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond-labeled tubes - mfr?

Snagged a '68-'69 Hammond L-120 yesterday, and as I was vacuuming it out I pulled the tubes. All of them had Hammond labels, but most were marked Made in Gr Britain, and couple Made in Germany.

Anyone know who actually mfr'd these?

Also - the recto tube has this metal spring-looking thing stuck to the side of one of the elements. It may be touching the glass, it's so close to the side of the envelope. On inside of the glass around this thing there's a white crust - is that bad?

Thanks!

I have had several sets of Hammond labeled tubes. Most were Telefunken (look for the diamond on the base) or Mullard( look for the etching on the glass). In any case Hammond always used superior tubes , relabeled for them.

Hammond was/is the King of instruments.

Comment

But like most rebranders, it was not necessarily the same evey time. The 12AX7s could be one brand this season and another brand the next. SO you will have to ID the maker using clues such as billy provided or by posting photos for someone's visual ID.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

...most all of the OEM electronic equipment manufacturers -- like Hammond, Delco, Gibson, etc. -- did not make the tubes that went into their equipment, rather they ordered, special, re-labelled tubes, from whichever BIG tube manufacturer gave them the best price break. Hence, the HAMMOND 'name plate' label but the GB and Germany 'manufacturer' labels.
        ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

I know a lot if not all Fischer and Dynaco tubes were relabeled Telefunken and Mullard or Amperex. I have many 12ax7's all Telefunken with those labels and more. My favorites are the Silvertone tubes that are actually Telefunken with the Diamond in the base.

Comment

Here are some photos of a typical EL84 and 12AU7, and that 5U4 I'm worried about.
            Attached Files

Comment

Amperex?

Comment

They look like Philips and they ARE made in Holland.

Comment

That 5U4 looks pretty much f****d to me. The white stuff means that air has got inside.

The "Made In Great Britain" tubes should be either Mullard or Brimar. Mullard would figure, since you can see the "Gf2" etching on your 12AU7.
                  "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                    That 5U4 looks pretty much f****d to me. The white stuff means that air has got inside.
                    Dirt.
                    Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                    Mullard would figure, since you can see the "Gf2" etching on your 12AU7
                    Sweet!

Thanks guys!

Comment

I think the 12ax7 is indeed a Philips from Eindhoven , where I live.

And here a better view maybe :

Alf
                      Last edited by Alf; 09-07-2009, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Moose View Post
                        Here are some photos of a typical EL84 and 12AU7, and that 5U4 I'm worried about.
                        The dead 5U4GB is GE production--you can tell by the 188 EIA code.

The white getter indicates loss of vacuum.

Hammond bought tubes from many different suppliers. I've primarily seen RCA and GE, though, as you can see, they did sometimes use European tubes, especially Amperex EL84s. I don't think I've ever found a Telefunken tube as a stock Hammond-labeled tube, but that doesn't mean it never happened.

Leslie, on the the other hand, had an affinity for Tung-Sol.

David

Comment

Can the 5u4, I second what everyone else said about it.

here is a link of euro tube codes.

http://www.audiotubes.com/PhilipsCodeList.pdf

And Hammond did use Telefunken quite often.

smooth and ribbed plate.

GF2 is mullard or Loews opta after 54, F is June, can't make out the code on your el84.but you get the idea.
                          Last edited by billyz; 09-07-2009, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks, guys -

I had a 5u4 lying around, and it works!

Just gotta get the oil into all the places it's supposed to go and I'm good (so far).

Comment

Lotta RCA in the Hammonds I've seen over the years.

Comment

Working...
                              X