X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg V4B buzz

Hello!
    I recently got a mid 70s Ampeg V4B.
    Everything works, but there's a very annoying buzz.
    It's not a hum, it's more of a static noise, like ground noise or something.
    With zero volume there is no noise, but as soon as you go up, it's there, and of course gets worse as treble&middle frequencies are enhanced.
    I already gave it to a tech who made a general check and fixed a few minor things. The amp should be technically ok now (ground included).
    But the buzz is still there!!!
    My tech said that "I'll have to get used to it...it won't go away..."
    I'm not happy with this sentence!

Everything ok!
    It was just a power-strip problem!
    The amp is fine!!!

Comment

Ampeg v4-b

Hi thr,i just bought the same amp head.
      I'm just trying to figure out all the settings,and trying to match them up with the settings on my bass(a fender jaguar)that has all these different settings, ie. passive-active pu's,serries-parallel ......blah blah
      So,if u still have yr amp,give me a shout.
      Thanx

Comment

Yes, I still have the amp.
        But I don't think I understood what you're asking...

Comment

It's just that I'm having trouble dialing in a great sound.
          The highs and mid's are awesome! But the low's are.....
          Kinda bogged down....muffed....the low notes all kinda roll into one.
          When I set the low boost to the middle,I have no sound,nothing,
          When I set the low boost to low,thr is almost no low end.
          So....I have it just past the mid point and it's just doesn't sound
          Right. Problem with the amp? Or something I'm doing wrong or
          Missing? Help!

Comment

That's strange. Are you sure it's not the cabinet's fault?
            Of course certain heads sound great with certain cabinets, and not that great with others!
            I tried this head on three cabinets of mine...and while it sounds amazing with two, with the third it sounds really crap!!! ...but it's the cab!
            I don't know...which head did you have before the Ampeg? ...maybe a modern one? I guess modern heads have more dramatic controls, so you can add bass frequencies til you puke...
            Old heads usually are all a matter of tone, instead...
            What cabinet do you have?
            If you have cab with 10 inch speakers, maybe it could be the problem. This head was originally made to work with for 15 inch speakers, which are fatter and warmer that 10 inch.
            Oh, about the low boost, don't worry...that's exactly the way it works: when you switch it on, the sound gets muffled and crappy! Nobody ever understood why Ampeg did such a switch!!! ;-)
            Let me know...

Comment

If you have no sound when the low pot is set at midpoint then there is definitely something wrong. Sounds like either the low pot is dirty/bad or the capacitor pack for the low control is bad.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

...wait...I'm starting to confuse...
                You mean that when you switch on the "ultra low" switch there is no sound at all????
                ...but then you talk of middle position...ultra low switch doesn't have a middle position...it has just two, as the "ultra hi" switch. Only the midrange switch has three positions!
                of course if you try to set the "ultralow" switch in a middle position, it won't work, because it doens't have that!
                In any case, a cleaning to the contacts of the switches would be a good thing. I had to do it with mine too.

Comment

Ok,it sounds like u guys r right,i'll take it in for a service.
                  Hopefully it's nothing to pricey....
                  Btw. I'm useing a Ampeg 1-15 & 4-10 cabs through the amp.
                  And like I said,the highs & mids sound wicked,but the lows
                  Sound like crap. Maybe I should take the 4-10 cab in with me
                  For a check up as well(I bought it used and it's a little beat up,
                  The 1-15 is new).
                  The amp I was useing was a GK 800rb. Was a great sounding amp,
                  But,I figured I'd go for the ultimate set up. So far I'm not sure I
                  Made the right choice. We'll c after the service.
                  I'm still confused about the Low boost.
                  Thanx guys.

Comment

New tubes and a tune up,all is good. In fact....GREAT !!!!

Comment

awesome!

Comment

Working...
                      X