Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wurlitzer 200 Power transistors.

Hi everybody,
    I have a problem in that the three power transistors in my '69 Wurlitzer 200 electric piano have blown. They are obsolete and I'm not sure what would work as replacements. They are: TR8, 2n 4919. TR9, 2n5191 and TR10, 2n5194.
    Would a TIP 31a/41a do for the NPN and TIP 32a/42a's work for the PNP's?
    The basic specification is similar, but the way they operate in practice could be a problem. Also the Ic is 3A instead of 4A.
    The curcuit diagramme can be seen on the Vintage Vibe web site (Vintage Vibe). It's page 39 of the pdf of Wurlitzer 200 and 200a Service Manual.
    Any assistance will be very welcome.
    Last edited by Pitfall; 10-09-2009, 12:12 AM. Reason: incorrect number

Sure those ought to work. The circuit operates on 42v, and the TIP31A is a 60v part. SO that is OK. I would use the TIP31C myself, the 100v part. Actually in my shop, I might chose an Asian type - the 2S series - just because I have a large selection of them. This application is not critical.

If you are worried about current, the TIP41C is rated 6A.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Vintage vibe has replacement transistors (new old stock)

hody

Comment

Thank you Enzo, for your help with the transistors. Might there be a problem with the higher specified versions in that they might not be driven efficiently enough in this curcuit to generate enough gain?
        The original components seem create quite a lot of gain for a small drive voltage.

Comment

Not likely an issue, the output transistors in a solid state amp amplify current, not voltage.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The three transistors you mentioned 2N4919 and the 2N5191/4 are still in production and available from OnSemi - try Mouser, Digikey, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X