baffle board size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baffle board size

redoing a couple fender cabs that stewed in katrina water - not a restore really just a redo, not worried about correctness, just function - baffle boards for these - both are either black or sliverface period - do i understand they used particle baffles on these ? - what was the thickness for a 2-10 possible vibroverb, for a 4-10 possible concert type - not really a fan of particle, thinking of going with the baltic birch - would 1/2" baffle work for these or do i need to go thicker? - i think the last time i posted anything was on the old site! - thank you - oo3

If they are BF era cabs they should have had plywood baffles. 4x10 cabs (like the Bassman and Super Reverb) used 5/16" but there were others that used 3/8". I have used 1/2" marine plywood (actually measures 3/8") with good results. Baltic birch should be great. I have never seen a BF amp with a MDF baffle but I have seen the less expensive SF models (specifically a Vibro Champ) with MDF baffles. I don't know much about the other SF models. But I did look in the back of a SF Twin Reverb that IIRC had a plywood baffle.

FWIW a popular mod is to change the baffle on some Fender combo's to a non floating type made of thicker material, like 3/4". It's better for bottom end and gives a more overall solid kind of sound with less acoustics and anti phase from the baffle itself.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

thanks for the helpful info - i had searched this site first. but didnt think to search archived forum till after i posted - there is some good info there also - oo3

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        If they are BF era cabs they should have had plywood baffles. 4x10 cabs (like the Bassman and Super Reverb) used 5/16" but there were others that used 3/8". I have used 1/2" marine plywood (actually measures 3/8") with good results. Baltic birch should be great. I have never seen a BF amp with a MDF baffle but I have seen the less expensive SF models (specifically a Vibro Champ) with MDF baffles. I don't know much about the other SF models. But I did look in the back of a SF Twin Reverb that IIRC had a plywood baffle.

FWIW a popular mod is to change the baffle on some Fender combo's to a non floating type made of thicker material, like 3/4". It's better for bottom end and gives a more overall solid kind of sound with less acoustics and anti phase from the baffle itself.

Chuck
        As Chuck stated, use 13mm (1/2") Baltic birch with 1/4" plywood strips around the flat plane perimeter to hold the grille cloth off the baffle board.
        The question about high density particle board baffles is open and I'm not arguing it ... I think most all of them were in fact particle board during and after the black face or silver face era and an odd thickness of about <5/8", plus, (with respect to the full floating black face baffle boards) the 1/4" plywood strips to hold the grille cloth off the actual baffle board.
        There might have been some super heavy Twins or Super Twins with plywood but (although I can't be sure), I don't think so.
        Tweed era amps were almost all 5/16" to 3/8" Douglas Fir plywood with the 1/4" plywood strips and used light weight AlNiCo speakers.
        I have two black face Pro Reverb amps (1965 and 1967), a 1969 silver face Vibrolux and a 1973 silver face Deluxe Reverb in the shop right now and all four, in fact, are using 1/2"-5/8" thick particle board baffles.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

"If they are BF era cabs they should have had plywood baffles."

O.K... I read that. I have worked on a Super Reverb that had it's baffle changed to 3/4" ply. So I thought it must be correct that the BF amps used plywood. I do know that the 4x10 Bassman baffle info is right though.

As I recall Bruce corrected me on a Princeton transformer Q about a year ago. Something else I had read and thought was correct. It's a good thing Bruce is around or who knows what kind of misinformation I might re-print...

It's true enough that the only way to really "know" anything is to have experienced it yourself... But, FWIW, I do think plywood is the way to go.

As for the 1/4" strips to suspend the grill cloth, that is how I did my last cabinet design and it worked out well. But I prefere my other designs that have a seperate grill on Velcro tabs.

Chuck
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by oo3 View Post
            redoing a couple fender cabs that stewed in katrina water - not a restore really just a redo, not worried about correctness, just function - baffle boards for these - both are either black or sliverface period - do i understand they used particle baffles on these ? - what was the thickness for a 2-10 possible vibroverb, for a 4-10 possible concert type - not really a fan of particle, thinking of going with the baltic birch - would 1/2" baffle work for these or do i need to go thicker? - i think the last time i posted anything was on the old site! - thank you - oo3
            build them the right way- that means 3/4 plywood or pine lumber for the case and 1/2in or heavier VOID FREE plywood for the baffles

Comment

Working...
            X