Crate V-100h Head Died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate V-100h Head Died

The other day I was practicing at home and in the middle of a song my amp just died. Now no power reaches the tubes or anything. The power light doesnt come on but the fan does. It rocks back and forth and sounds like a clicking noise. I unplugged a 2 wire connection from the circuit board and and the fan runs but nothing else happens and the clicking sound is still there. I plug it back in and the fan rocks back and forth. All the fuses are good. Ive tried it on different outlets etc. and there are no bad solder joints or nothing is burnt or smells burnt. any ideas? I do have the schematics if that would be helpful.

Crate schematic

Can you post the schematic?

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      Can you post the schematic?
      V100H SCHEMATIC pg 1.pdf

V100H SCHEMATIC pg2.pdf

0027747-00 REVA00 SCH.pdf

0028168-00 REVA00 SCH (2).pdf

V100H Tube Location.pdf

V100H (VII) Bias.pdf

That should be everything. Thats everything I have. I do have the manual too here it is...
      V-100H Manual.pdf

Comment

SMPS

ZMan
        Hey. Good luck with this one.
        The power supply is a switchmode.
        This is the future.
        QSC PLX older amps have a kit to fix there switchers.
        That is another rant, the output section goes & it blows up the power supply.
        Thanks QSC. Job security.
        Anyway, I would take this puppy to a reputable tech who understands swichmode power supplies.

Comment

That amp uses a switching power supply - it rectifies the mains directly. Unless you know what you are doing, these are EXTREMELY dangerous to work on. The voltages in a tube amp can KILL YOU as it is, but these switching supplies are extra hazardous.

The pulsing fan and ticking noise is your switching supply trying to start up. Either the supply itself has failed, or something in the amp circuits - a power tube most likely - has failed and the switcher is protecting itself by instantly shutting down after it starts and finds excess load.

technically, the first step is to pull the connectors off the right side of the power supply and hte loose wires there, noting where all go, and power on to see if the voltages are coming out of the switcher. This is done with a volt meter.

If the switcher is dead, than I start looking for rectifiers on the secondary.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            That amp uses a switching power supply - it rectifies the mains directly. Unless you know what you are doing, these are EXTREMELY dangerous to work on. The voltages in a tube amp can KILL YOU as it is, but these switching supplies are extra hazardous.

The pulsing fan and ticking noise is your switching supply trying to start up. Either the supply itself has failed, or something in the amp circuits - a power tube most likely - has failed and the switcher is protecting itself by instantly shutting down after it starts and finds excess load.

technically, the first step is to pull the connectors off the right side of the power supply and hte loose wires there, noting where all go, and power on to see if the voltages are coming out of the switcher. This is done with a volt meter.

If the switcher is dead, than I start looking for rectifiers on the secondary.
            Ok I'll quit tinkering with it then and save it for a professional. Should I trust it with the guitar techs around here in Augusta, GA or take it to a certified one in Atlanta, GA?

Comment

A competent technician is a competent technician. I don;t know which ones live where. A Crate authorized shop may be more familiar with this model and ones like it. I have been working with switching supplies for decades, but not all amp guys have. The safety concerns me, the switcher itself may be just fine.... or not, but you need to know what you are looking at.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                A competent technician is a competent technician. I don;t know which ones live where. A Crate authorized shop may be more familiar with this model and ones like it. I have been working with switching supplies for decades, but not all amp guys have. The safety concerns me, the switcher itself may be just fine.... or not, but you need to know what you are looking at.
                Thanks I'll call around.

Comment

Working...
                X