X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silent single coil

Any one made this yet ?
    Attached Files

I haven't done that particular circuit before, but I modded a humbucker today to have an air coil and it improves it's dynamics and clarity a little bit while still bucking hum really well (granted, this is a low impedance pickup wired in a balanced configuration). I think the low inductance of the air coil would offset the phase cancellation of a hum cancelling pickup quite a bit. I would imagine that circuit would go one step further than what I did would.

Comment

This is the BPSSC , Suhr sell this and also ilitch electronics , they invented it .

It sold 300$ i bit much for me , i will try to make one to fit in my strat control and pickup enclosed without modification.

I may also try dual coil revers wound for middle pup.

There are unknown values of 2 resistor ...

Idea Anyone ?

Comment

Hmm ...
        10K according the schematic ... (a bit offset to the resistor)

Bye

Comment

Originally posted by mk1 View Post
          This is the BPSSC , Suhr sell this and also ilitch electronics , they invented it .

It sold 300$ i bit much for me , i will try to make one to fit in my strat control and pickup enclosed without modification.

I may also try dual coil revers wound for middle pup.

There are unknown values of 2 resistor ...

Idea Anyone ?

I think you can omit those two resistors to start with. They limit the value of the parallel combination (pot and resistor) and should affect range and ease of adjustment a bit. You have the full range by omitting the two resistors.

The basic idea is that the magnetic flux is field times area, and so you need a lot fewer turns to get the same hum voltage with a larger area. That is, the voltage is proportional to A times n, while the inductance is approximately to A times n squared. So you can see if you make a coil larger and decrease the number of turns to compensate for increased hum voltage, you get lower inductance. So you have something that affects the rest of the guitar circuit less.

Comment

Also the large coil uses heavier gauge wire so it has less resistance.

The sound clips of the Suhr version sound very good.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

No such thing

A single coil has one coil. Any "noiseless" pickup is going to have a dummy coil. There's no escaping it.

You may like the sound of that (I don't) and it may fit in a single-coil slot, but it's not going to be a single coil and it won't sound like a single coil.

To my ears, noiseless - toneless.

Comment

Originally posted by Tele-Cat View Post
                A single coil has one coil. Any "noiseless" pickup is going to have a dummy coil. There's no escaping it.
                Yep, and if the dummy coil has a low inductance and resistance, it does not affect the tone significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tele-Cat View Post
                  No, some have an active coil, such as stacked and sidewider configurations.

You may like the sound of that (I don't) and it may fit in a single-coil slot, but it's not going to be a single coil and it won't sound like a single coil.

To my ears, noiseless - toneless.
                  Have you heard the Ilitch system? You can't hear any difference. There is no loss in high end, which is the thing people don't like about hum canceling single aperture pickups.

Also the DiMarzio Virtual Pro and Kinman pickups sound exactly like single coils. So it can be done.

Noise is not tone, but you don't want to lose the high end either.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I personally think the 50/60 Hz hum has been a part of the "music" for so long -ever since the beginning, why try to get rid of it now? If it bugs you, you just need to play louder.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                      I personally think the 50/60 Hz hum has been a part of the "music" for so long -ever since the beginning, why try to get rid of it now? If it bugs you, you just need to play louder.
                      Just find magnetic north and don't stand too close to the amp (or a computer) and you're good to go!

Comment

Suhr didn't invent that system they licensed it from Ilitch. Its a good solution but I've heard from one guy who tried it that its not all its cracked up to be. Me, I LIKE NOISE, gimme a noisy, squealy old P90 and I'm in hog heaven! Noisy pickups have a full range of harmonics you lose in any kind of bucking system, even the Ilitch and even Kinmans. That coil in the Les Paul cavity looks like a major bitch to install.

Hell, PAFs are the king of "nasal" tone, LUV that too! I had a customer once who told me he wanted a real open sounding set of buckers, so I made him one then he complained and said they were "nasal" sounding. So I made him another, same complaint. Turns out he loves Tuck & Pattys guitar tone, WTF, that guy doesn't even use a regular humbucker but a totally oddball pickup called a Hi-A I think it is. I looked up the patent and its nothing like a regular humbucker at all. Top that off with Tuck doesn't use a tone control at all, bypasses it completely. The nasal thing to me is in almost every classic pickup, strats etc. To me its kinda like the human voice, it has a real vocal quality to it that sings and sounds natural...
                        http://www.SDpickups.com
                        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I tried a Suhr-equipped guitar at the Montreal Guitar Expo a couple of years ago, and was impressed. I made a point of holding the guitar up beside the power transformer side of the amp head with the volume up and listening closely. Was it dead quiet? No. Was it usefully quiet? Damn straight.

Comment

I have so say i used to believe a single coil was fine with the noise , but now i have some really old electric system here and its just crazy , plus i am stock with a practice amp , at really low volume there is more noise then anything else .

This is the reason i will make a ssc system , i have a spool of 40 gauge i made a 6.5 inch diameter coil from it it is 250 ohm , i will test and post picture.

I also will make a spectral analyst of both with and with out it .

I will post all results .

Comment

Originally posted by Vihar
                              Sloppy is Jimi Hendrix, the other guy who's praised highly along these parts.

You seem to be nervous and full of anger, David. My opinion is my opinion, and I'm sticking with what I wrote.

Ok, some music I played.
                              And that was his point, there are a bunch of people, you been one of them who when they see a player of a certain level of technique they are instantly dismissed as not been musicians, The fact you said Guthrie is only 1% musician shows you dont know 1, who he is, 2 dont know what he can do, and 3, know what other musicians feel about him and his creative talent.

David isn't angry or nervous, its just he can smell shit when its been spread. May i ask what percentage guitarist/musician you rate yourself. if you rate yourself higher than Guthrie i know your talking shit.

Here's a backing track you may like to download Vihar, sort of in the same vane as some of those you posted, easy listening.

Yea, it's that 1% musician again, not bad for a improvisation, but I'm sure you'll come up with a more musical version if you choose to download it.
                              [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71izserFcek"]YouTube- GUTHRIE GOVAN - ORANGE JAM - ROTOSOUND PROMO[/ame]

Just to keep things on topic the pickups are Suhr's V60 LP's "Low Peak". with the SSC built in the guitar like the Tele.
                              Last edited by greenfingers; 11-07-2009, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X