butyrate color (pigment)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• butyrate color (pigment)

where to buy pigment for CAB like on this beautiful OTPG bobbins?

thanx guys

They are from the Uk and prob takes quite a bit of searching to get the right colours.

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
      They are from the Uk and prob takes quite a bit of searching to get the right colours.
      Thanx, do you maybe know where to buy any pigment that can be used in butyrate? are this normal pigments for plastic?

Comment

watch this . it might answer you question
        [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCqrGyEJFqc"]YouTube- How to Make a Pickup Part 2[/ame]
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I actually phoned Evan and asked if he would sell some of that dye. They said no (fair enough!). I love the SD pickups, and the people there.

You do require special dye for butyrate, and there is a minimum, and while it will last 10+ years, it's not like its going to cost $25000. It usually about a 100lb minimum at like $10 / lb.

What you need to do is get a sample of the color you want and give it to the molder. It also depends on what you are going for.. Faded white? Cream? White? I dont think there really IS a right color. You have to choose something you like. For example (to me) the allparts stuff is too pink, the Seymour Duncan stuff is too white. etc.

Comment

CAB can be colored to match whatever sample you give the place doing the color match.
            They don't make them like they used to... We do.
            www.throbak.com
            Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

That's the one. Have your sample to start with, you can't do it from pics and get the molder to match it.

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
                That's the one. Have your sample to start with, you can't do it from pics and get the molder to match it.
                Thanx, i have OTPG rings, i think color on bobbins is identical on bobbins and on rings, right?
                i'm quite sure material is same, cab.

i have injection molder, but not material, i can buy material (cab) in granulas and in natural color, so i now must buy only pigment (dye)

do you think i can use dye for ABS and mix it with CAB?

Comment

Why are you trying to copy another company's coloring? Why not the real thing?
                  Attached Files
                  http://www.SDpickups.com
                  Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                    Why are you trying to copy another company's coloring? Why not the real thing?
                    unfortunately, i don't have access to a real thing
                    i think otpg and shed's are closest to a real thing, right?

Comment

Originally posted by clown_luthier View Post
                      do you think i can use dye for ABS and mix it with CAB?
                      i think this is not possible, i find out that dye (pigment) must be organic

Comment

Well look at the OTPG bobbins compared to the real bobbins I posted, the OTPG's are more yellowish. Yeah they are physically accurate bobbins. Are you making butyrate bobbins?
                        http://www.SDpickups.com
                        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                          Well look at the OTPG bobbins compared to the real bobbins I posted, the OTPG's are more yellowish. Yeah they are physically accurate bobbins. Are you making butyrate bobbins?
                          i think i will try to make a few prototypes in near future, maybe early next year

i have a great friend on cnc machine who can make me a mold, and a neighbour with a injection molder i think i have found souce for butyrate granules and now i'm waiting one lab to make me dye for prototypes

Comment

The cream color of an old PAF bobbin varies because the plastic yellows over time and that yellowing varies with how much light exposure the plastic gets over time and how much bar room scuz colors it over time. You really cannot say that is one color that is correct.

I'm sure they will correct me if I'm wrong but I think Bare Knuckle, OTP and Spence all use bobbins made from the same mold. They are easy to spot because the edge radius is too large for a PAF bobbin, although they do look very nice. I would bet that the OTP bobbin pictured has been tinted further with some sort of dye or colorant even after it was molded.
                            They don't make them like they used to... We do.
                            www.throbak.com
                            Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
                              I actually phoned Evan and asked if he would sell some of that dye. They said no (fair enough!). I love the SD pickups, and the people there.
                              I think if you ask to buy their butyrate bobbins, they would.

Another phone call...?
                              Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                              Milano, Italy

Comment

Working...
                              X