Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ashdown 500 EVO ABM-115-500 (ss bass amp)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashdown 500 EVO ABM-115-500 (ss bass amp)

This amp was dropped the other night and I wanted to inspect the guts before plugging it in. There are 4 black caps on the top concealed very large screws which I removed. I figured that I could slide the amp out of the front or the back, but it did not want to budge and I did not want to force it. I pulled off one of the side handles to look for screws on the bottom but saw none.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. (For future reference- maybe very soon!- I would like any service information on this model.)

Thanks!

Steve Ahola
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Hi Steve,
    if it's one of the new ones made in China the top screws are the only
    fixing.I'm not sure about the earlier UK made ones but I would suspect
    if the case is "felt covered" it may just be stuck.
    I sometimes use a steel ruler to slide between the chassis and the case to try to ease the chassis out.Either the felt has doubled over or the chassis was fitted before the felt glue was dry !
    Wouldn't be the first time I have used my foot to force a head out !
    They're good amps imo !

Comment

Originally posted by oc disorder View Post
      Hi Steve,
      if it's one of the new ones made in China the top screws are the only
      fixing.I'm not sure about the earlier UK made ones but I would suspect
      if the case is "felt covered" it may just be stuck.
      I sometimes use a steel ruler to slide between the chassis and the case to try to ease the chassis out.Either the felt has doubled over or the chassis was fitted before the felt glue was dry !
      Wouldn't be the first time I have used my foot to force a head out !
      They're good amps imo !
      That is basically what I found, only the amp is high quality (made in England), so the foam strips on the top of the chassis had adhered to the tolex.

Yes, I am familiar with the Charles Atlas approach to amp repair but it is my best friend's amp and she was standing right there so I thought I better leave the crowbar in my toolbox.

This amp was built like a tank and it tested out perfectly (after falling so hard that it bent up the hand truck!) With the VU meter on the front panel I wondered if it was more show than performance but now I know better...

If anyone has service information on this amp it would be appreciated.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Steve Ahola
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Just remembered a couple of things the pre out pwr in connection is made with a twisted pair from the master out pot area to the power board.
        It's important to keep it down on the chassis as if it runs near the transformer leads it can pick up hum.
        Also the output devices SEMELAB BUZ906P/BUZ901P are rather expensive
        and have had to replace several as a result of a faulty speaker lead so I recommend checking the leads with a fine tooth comb !

Comment

Working...
        X