V1512 Output tranny upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V1512 Output tranny upgrade

I was looking at the TO20 OT from Allen Amplification for an upgrade on my Crate V1512. It has a 6,600 primary to 8 Ohms secondary. Any feedback would be cool or any other suggestions would be even cooler.

I just realized that the TO20 only has 4 and 8 ohm speaker outs and my v1512 is 16ohms. I need to find one similiar that has the correct imp. match.

Comment

Hi David, Contact Patrick at Mercury Magnetics. Mercury Magnetics

They have a ToneClone OT, also a choke that will replace R14. The OT is #018RS-L. You can wire the output for 4 or either/or 8+16Ω, depending on your speaker impedance. The choke is #MC10H. The fit will be tight, and you'll need to drill a few holes— but you will be rewarded.

If you have issues with too much gain and want more clean tone at full volume, the mod is to remove C1 and C5 (top right corner of the board by the input jack and the gain pot. I haven't done this yet myself, but I did install the OT and the choke.

I have a 70w ceramic ToneTubby 12" speaker and a 12AU7 in V3 (driver/reverb preamp tube). I replaced the reverb with an Accutronics 8BB3C1B.

Comment

Oh, now I see you already cut out C38. Others have only removed C1. Did cutting out C38 work for you? Too much or too little? Cheers.

Comment

Taking out C38 did help it smooth out a little, but it's not that noticeable. I could have left it in there and been just fine. I normally max out my master volume and just bring the pre-amp gain up around 11:00 o'clock, so I have a decent clean sound with a little bite to it. I use a metal muff to make things dirty. I'm interested in the OT change mainly because I hear that OT upgrades can really help the overall tone of an amp. I'd be interested in a choke replacement if it would help in that way. I just take the decent tone I have with this amp and enhance it overall. I play it through a 2X12 cab with Celestion G12H's. I like the sound, don't get me wrong, but even the dude that designed it suggests that more can be squeezed from it with an OT change. What kind of change could I expect from an OT AND choke installation? Anyone try either?

Comment

David, why don't you just READ my post?

Comment

Working...
            X