Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHT Pitbull 50/12 Issues... Help!

Hi all. Here goes...

I have a VHT 50/12 combo amp with switchable class a/b - class a operation. So recently the amp started to sound a bit strange and realizing that my power tubes were ancient I decided to replace them. After doing so the amp sounded perfect and life was great. A few days later, though, the amp starting sounding odd again (farting/weird rumble/crackling/etc.). I had a handful of tubes lying around so I replaced each preamp tube one by one for troubleshooting purposes... no luck. I then went as far as replacing the reverb tube, phase inv tube and rect tube, just because I had extras and I was curious. Because nothing seemed to help so I put all the original tubes back in (with the brand new power tubes) and was at a standstill. After playing for 30 minutes one night the DC fuse blew and the amp smoked out. It seemed a cap (47uf/100v) on the power supply board blew up. I checked all the rect diodes (per a friend's suggestion) and they were fine. I replaced the cap and the amp fired back on with no issues.

So here's the problem: the amp seems to work OK in class a mode, but it only works for about 10 minutes until a fuse blows. In class a/b mode the amp won't pass any sound other than some faint, broken-sounding garbage, and only when it's cranked. What's more is, when I throw a meter on the power tubes in class a/b mode, nothing registers on the meter unless it's cranked. Even then it's maybe 3ma. In class a mode, the meter registers what it should.

The bottom line is I know just enough to be dangerous, but I'm starting to realize this may be for a pro. Just thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions before spending the cash to get it fixed.

Sorry for the lengh... thanks for the help.

Hi.
    The shotgun method (changing parts just in case) almost never works, it's better to test functionally and when finding something weird, start measuring there.
    Just for starters, pull power and PI tubes, and rectifier.
    Post what they are.
    Does the amp have a Tube/SS rectifier switch?
    If so, select Tube (which you already pulled), and *very carefully* set your multimeter on the 500 or 750 VAC scale, whichever you have, and measure from ground to the rectifier pins where the High Voltage power transformer is wired.
    Can't give you a specific pin yet because I still ignore a lot of data.
    If in this unloaded situatione the transformer buzzes, heats, sparks, smokes, or the fuse blows, unplug it immediately.
    Search "series lamp" here and build one, it's very easy.
    A couple clean readable pictures always help.
    Never put your hands near any "hot" (high voltage) point, slipping is very easy and you'll do it only once.
    Work , comfortable, on a well illumuinated place.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Hi,
      Very cool. That all sounds good. The amp won't be in front of me again until Monday (it's at work), but I know the tubes:

Power tubes - EH el34s
      PI tube - JJ 12ax7
      Pre tubes - three EH 12ax7s
      Reverb tube - JJ el84
      Rect tube - Sovtek 5AR4

It does have a 3-way rect switch - silicon, tube or the "auto" which switches the rect depending on which channel you're on.

I'll get some pics soon as well. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X