Squire Champ 15/Fender Frontman 15(R)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squire Champ 15/Fender Frontman 15(R)

Hey, guys. I have 3 amps... and all of them have small issues.

First: Squire Champ 15.
    This amp was working perfectly until I plugged head phones into them. Now, it won't play out of the speaker. Only out of the head phones. I checked the resistor right next to it, and from what I can tell, it works.

Second: Fender Frontman 15
    I got this amp from a friend when my Squire amp cut out, he didn't use it and said it was broken, but I could probably fix it. He said the amp fell over while the guitar was plugged in and now the input doesn't work, it only does a high pitch squeal.
    I opened it up, and tried to solder the connections back to the board... but the solder wouldn't go between the gaps. It would just gather on the connector for the input jack. So, this is just a general soldering question, rather than a specific amp question.
    I have no idea what I need to do to get the solder to actually connect to the board!

Third: Fender Frontman 15(R)
    I got this amp from a friend for fixing his guitar. It was a simple soldering job. It worked perfectly until it, like the other Frontman, fell down while plugged in. It works if you wiggle the input jack just perfectly.
    I opened it up and looked at it, and while the thing is wobbly, the actual solder joints are not moving.
    Do I need to get a completely new input jack for this one?

Thank you for the novice questions and novice amps.
    Solid state amps, I know. Shun.
    Soon, I'll be an owner of a tube amp! Eventually.

Hi Idskot

Squirt very little WD40 and work the plug in/out a few times, the speaker contact in that jack opens but doesn't return or is dirty/rusty. Replace jack whenever possible.

Your board has green epoxy solder mask, everywhere except on actual pads.
    You must scratch *carefully* until you see orange copper , both sides of the crack, then solder a small piece of bare copper wire so bridge the gap.
    Be careful not to create unwanted solder bridges or big blobs.

Replace the jack.
    Order this one together with the earphone jack.
    If possible, buy a couple ones as spares.
    I see you love Fenders, their jacks are not standard.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
      Hi Idskot

Squirt very little WD40 and work the plug in/out a few times, the speaker contact in that jack opens but doesn't return or is dirty/rusty. Replace jack whenever possible.

Your board has green epoxy solder mask, everywhere except on actual pads.
      You must scratch *carefully* until you see orange copper , both sides of the crack, then solder a small piece of bare copper wire so bridge the gap.
      Be careful not to create unwanted solder bridges or big blobs.

Replace the jack.
      Order this one together with the earphone jack.
      If possible, buy a couple ones as spares.
      I see you love Fenders, their jacks are not standard.
      Thank you, sir. I will do.
      Do you know where I can order the jacks for these amps?
      And I am a fan of Fenders. But, I haven't had anything else.
      Like I said, all of these were given to me.

Ironically, I don't like their guitars.
      I just ordered a Les Paul.
      Last edited by IDSkoT; 12-06-2009, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Tubesandmore.com has them for $2.66
        Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

Fender replacement jacks

Try these sites.
          Link:Catalina Guitars | Guitar Pickups, Parts and Accessories | FREE Shipping
          Link:Fender Amp Parts
          If you are not sure of the exact part, call them.
          Or call Fender.

Comment

Thanks for the links guys!

Comment

So, currently I am broke. But I got this old jack from one of the amps, and I was wondering which leg goes to which?
              It has 4 legs, the one closest to the opening is reading ground, and the one furthest is reading positive. Are the other two just mounting pegs?

Comment

It has two shorting contacts. The two connections nearest the treads are ground and the larger contact is the one that contacts the plug. The tip of the plug is usually grounded by the shorter contact which will be connected to ground also.
                Attached Files
                Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

Originally posted by guitician View Post
                  It has two shorting contacts. The two connections nearest the treads are ground and the larger contact is the one that contacts the plug. The tip of the plug is usually grounded by the shorter contact which will be connected to ground also.
                  That's not the kind of jack that's on the Fenders.
                  It's more like this jack:

However, I wired it all back up to my amp, and I was still having the problem intermittently.
                  I then realized it was my cable that was broken.
                  I ran up to Radioshack, got a replacement, works like a charm.

Comment

Working...
                  X