got a project and would like advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got a project and would like advice

i picked up a califone 24m record player today. based on the markings, it was made in '53.

i have enough record players, so this one is getting made into to something that i will actually use.

the tube line up is as follows: 6sn7, 6sl7, 6l6, 6l6

it also came with two speakers which are in great shape. these are jensen p12r's.

so, i'm thinking that i can build an amp with it.

i'm thinking along the fender line.

i do have 6sc7's and 6sl7's to use also, but no spare 12ax7's, au's or ay's.

i am not looking for a specific sound at this time, but the general genre will be rock.

any suggestions?

here is the schematic and parts list:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by User Name; 12-19-2009, 08:18 AM.

Watch out! That's a sort-of-transformerless circuit, the power tubes run straight off the 120V line.

The rest of the circuitry runs off a small PT, and the interstage and output transformers provide isolation for the live output stage.

You'll either have to stick with this topology (and be careful working on it!) or get yourself another, bigger PT.

6SL7 is similar to the 12AX7, 6SN7 is similar to the 12AU7. I don't know what the 6SC7 is...

Also, something doesn't quite add up, the schematic you posted seems to be a PA amp, not a record player. If it really is the right schematic, I'd try to get it working as it is and plug a guitar in. You might like the tone it gives already! Even if you don't, it proves that the parts are good before you commit to building something else around them.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

i have a box of power transformers, but not sure if i have any that have a 120 secondary.

i guess this would be a "combo" amp if you will. it has 2 mic inputs and the phono input is coming in from the wiper of r24.

gotta say, i am quite familiar with regular tube radio sets, but getting in to dedicated amps is a little more than i expected.

Comment

Working...
      X