Ampeg SVT pro 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg SVT pro 3

I was playing my bass a few nights ago and all was well and all of a sudden, I accidently pressed one of the gain brigth button and I got a real loud noise. Now, I get no gain from the head. I don't even get any sound from my speakers. I have a Genz Benz 410 and one 15 inch Ashdown. I have no spare head to test my speakers to determine if they are blown or if the problem is with the ampeg head. Any help would be appreciated before I am off to repair shop. Thanks

SVT 3

Do you have any spare 12AX7 tubes.
    You may have popped V2 or V3.
    Attached Files

Comment

Could it have been that MUTE switch? It doesn't seem that a bright switch would have that effect on an amp.
      Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

I checked the mute button but still no sound. I also checked my BASS into another amp and I am not getting any sound after changing the battery. Whatever happened, now my BASS is not working either.

Comment

No i dont have any tubes but I will try to purchase some. Can you purchase these tubes at any electronics store? Thanks

Comment

Hot input

Something took out the active bass circuit.
            Before doing anything else, can you hook up a DVM to the input jack.
            Insert a known good instrument cable into the input jack.
            Measure across the tip & the ring of the cable.
            Set the DVM on Vdc, then Vac.
            Tells us what you read. DC & AC.
            There may be nothing there at all.
            The voltage path may have been V1a Plate to Grid, internal tube short.
            In that case you may have had 150 Vdc, through a 68K resistor, to your bass input.

Comment

Thanks Jazz P but what is a DVM? Is that a switch or cable? I guess I am not much of an electronics person but I am beginning to learn. Google, here I come. Thanks..
              Is that a 5 or 6 string Bass in your profile. I like the color.

Comment

DVM

Digital Volt Meter.
                Does not have to be digital.
                Just a term that is used.

That is a pearl white 1987 Fender jazz p bass special. 4 string.
                At least until the bar smoke changed the color.
                Love it.

Comment

Okay. I will go purchase one and let you know my findings. Hopefully, I can get this rig together b/c i am missing it right now.

Do you prefer the 4 string over the 5 string?

Comment

Bass strings

I prefer 4 strings.
                    I run a lower gauge on the E string just to get rid of boom.
                    Some of the clubs we play are small.
                    I would imagine being able to drop down to the 5th string would come in handy, I just do not feel like buying another bass.

Comment

Did you check the amp with another bass or signal source? Maybe the amp is fine, and only your bass is broken.

Better use a passive one in case the amp somehow turned into an active bass killer I've never heard of that happen until JPB suggested it.

Also try different cables.

5 strings are unnatural
                      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Bass

Preferably a Nonactive one.

Comment

Thanks Steve for your input. Yes, I have tried another Bass and still no sound from the amp as well as the speaker.

I take it you are a 4 string player as well. I too love the 4 strings but also like the 5 strings.

Jimmy

Comment

I love the 4 strings especially since I am getting back into playing more b/c I am more accurate with the 4 string. I mostly play the 5 string Bass trying to get a feel for it and I was coming along very well until now. Now, I ahve nothing to play with and I am bored. Can't wait to get this amp working.

Jimmy

Comment

That's interesting. It may be a good idea to install an input cap on the amp if you're using an active bass (or if you have scratchy pots on your instrument. )

- Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X