6EU7 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6EU7 help

I'm looking at a Magnatone schematic after hearing the Tonemaster amp and it uses a couple of lesser-known tubes.

The 6EU7 used in the first two gain stages appears to be similar to a 12AX7 according to the spec sheets, but does anyone have any experience with it in terms of tone compared to a 12AX7?

The output tubes are 6973s which look to be similar to EL84s. Once again, does anyone have any experience with this?

Any help appreciated.
    HTH - Heavier Than Hell

The 6EU7 has exactly the same characteristics as the 12AX7. The only thing different is the pinouts and the 6EU7 has a single 6.3 volt heater filament instead of the two parallel 6.3 volt heaters on the 12AX7. Bottom line is that you can rewire any socket to convert between the two tubes.

Comment

6973 pinout

Just be aware that the 6973 has a different pinout than the 6BQ5.(EL84)

Comment

I've used 6EU7's in a 5E3-esque circuit. Works just like half a 12AX7.
        Sine Guitars
        Low-Impedance Pickups

http://sineguitars.webs.com

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys.

So the consensus is that 6EU7 has the same tone/characteristics as a 12AX7, but with a different pinout and the 6973 sounds just like an EL84, but again with a different pinout.

Usually I'd go with the lesser-known valves, but both 6EU7s and 6973s are more expensive than their conterparts (12AX7 and EL84), therefore I'll just go ahead and use the commonly available stuff.
          HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

Originally posted by HTH View Post
            ... So the consensus is that 6EU7 has the same tone/characteristics as a 12AX7, but with a different pinout ...
            Hi HTH; Gibson amps from '59 - '64 made wide use of the 6EU7; it's a twin triode just like a 12AX7, same amplification factor, but with different pinouts. They are available as NOS especially GEs, used including Sylvanias, and new - Sovtek and National (Yugoslavian?). My experience with Sovteks and Nationals has been disappointing. The only shortcoming of the 6EU7 is that that don't come in flavors; Siemens, Telefunken ... they weren't widely manufactured in Europe if at all so there are no 'holy grail' versions of it but they are wam, highly musical tubes that with the correct lead dress, run more quietly than 12AX7s ... how come anybody bothered with them in the first place. Good luck. CJ

Comment

Working...
            X