3D Humbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Humbuckers

Not only do I wind my own, but just for fun, I like to model them with 3D software. Check these out and let me know what you think:

eGuitar Plans Blog
    Chris Monck
    eguitarplans.com

I think you've put a lot of work into your whole site...

That beautiful Caractacus guitar distracted me from the pickup modelling, thanks

Rob.

Comment

Very slick site, impressive work. I do have a question on the Dec 22 entry about nut filing - it seems contrary to what I'd read elsewhere. Doesn't having a narrow point of contact between string and nut lead to premature wear? I'd always attempted to cut/file nut slots such that the slot angles down toward the string post, so the string makes contact with the nut slot the entire width of the nut. Also, the slight rounding at the bridge side of the nut seems a little unusual, as most advice stresses having a solid point of contact between string and the front edge of the nut.

But back on topic, nice work on the humbucker graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kerr View Post
        Doesn't having a narrow point of contact between string and nut lead to premature wear? I'd always attempted to cut/file nut slots such that the slot angles down toward the string post, so the string makes contact with the nut slot the entire width of the nut. Also, the slight rounding at the bridge side of the nut seems a little unusual, as most advice stresses having a solid point of contact between string and the front edge of the nut.
        The image on my blog was a bit exaggerated. However, by slightly rounding the slot before and after the point where the string makes contact can improve sustain. And if you file the slots properly, they last a long time. Not as long a a full contact slot, but I've found that more contact reduces sustain. It's a trade-off; shorter nut life, but excellent sustain.
        Chris Monck
        eguitarplans.com

Comment

Wow! That lookds great!

I do exactly the same thing with my electric stuff now. I'm in the middle of drawing a Floyd Low Profile, and several other parts. I've been wanting to draw a baseplate for a while. Any chance you would want to share? I can exchange several drawn parts with you (Dont worry jon, not the PAF bobbins.. JEESH. Slave driver).

What program are you using? I'm using solidworks and man o man does it work well for this. Well Actually I use two programs. Mastercam and Solidworks.

Comment

Here's a few of the drawings of done.. It's so addictive to draw that stuff. I sit for hours and do it.. and obsess about ever stupid detail
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
              Wow! That lookds great!

I do exactly the same thing with my electric stuff now. I'm in the middle of drawing a Floyd Low Profile, and several other parts. I've been wanting to draw a baseplate for a while. Any chance you would want to share? I can exchange several drawn parts with you (Dont worry jon, not the PAF bobbins.. JEESH. Slave driver).

What program are you using? I'm using solidworks and man o man does it work well for this. Well Actually I use two programs. Mastercam and Solidworks.
              I'm using Modo from Luxology on a Mac. I did a Floyd Rose style the other day, but it's not accurate. I've also done a tuner as well.
              Chris Monck
              eguitarplans.com

Comment

With Modo can one generate a DXF file or something that could be sent to a CAM package? The webpage for Luxology looks suspiciously like Rhino's.
                http://www.rhino3d.com/
                I'm glad to see that something like this is available for the mac besides Amapi.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                  With Modo can one generate a DXF file or something that could be sent to a CAM package? The webpage for Luxology looks suspiciously like Rhino's.
                  Modeling tools for designers
                  I'm glad to see that something like this is available for the mac besides Amapi.
                  I know it can export to Autodesk DFX, but I don't know if it can be used in CAM. I think the people behind Luxology came from Maya, but don't hold me to it.
                  Chris Monck
                  eguitarplans.com

Comment

[QUOTE=belwar;137219
                    What program are you using? I'm using solidworks and man o man does it work well for this. Well Actually I use two programs. Mastercam and Solidworks.[/QUOTE]

Mastercam and Solidworks

Are these software packages available as domes or tryle versions?

Or do the need to be purchased? I'd be interested in learning to use them.

regards and all the best for the new year to all,

Walt
                    I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but man, sometimes their ideas are just brilliant.

Comment

I think mastercam ran me $10k USD and Solidworks was $6k USD. Mastercam used to offer a Design only version of thier software for free. The power of mastercam is in the CAM part of the software. So if all you are doing is drawing and sending parts for quote, then the design would be fine. The version I have isthe full Level 3 with solids. Solidworks has tons of different versions. All you need is the basic version since you are not working with Motion Studies and all that good stuff.

If you were one of "those" type of people, I supposed you could torrent it and try it out to see if you like it, then buy it... but that would be illegal obviously.

bel

Comment

Working...
                      X