Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help with a Laney Gh100L

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum!

I have a few questions and concerns with my amp. I guess i'll start off by telling you what i'm using. The amp is a Laney GH100L, with 6l6's. The cab is the standard Laney cab that is suppose to run with it, at 16ohm's.

Now the issue i am having is with the low end tone, its really unclean and gross sounding. It has no clarity what so ever. I can dial it out somewhat, but its really just always there.

Maybe an issue with my tubes? Also, its def. not the guitar. I really just want to get a really tight sound out of it, as i play a lot of Dream Theater, and Megadeth type tunes.

Any tips would be greatly accepted, it also seems to be a new thing. I didn't really notice it before. Maybe there are some pedals i can pick up to give a try? I was thinking about getting a 10 band eq and giving that a go...

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! I'm new here, too, and have found that there is a lot of intelligent, competent knowledge givers here!

How old are the larger output tubes? If they are over 1-2 years old and have had regular daily use, they are probably ready to be replaced and bias reset for a new, matched set.

When tubes get old, they sound farty and have lower output. One quick test is to lightly tap the tubes while the amp is running with a plastic or wood stick to see if you hear a static, rumbly noise through the speaker. That's an indication of bad output tubes.

Comment

Thanks for the input! Ill give that a quick try, i'm not too sure how old the tubes are. Ill probably just get a new set anyhow. Any recommendations as to what tubes i should get? I was also thinking about getting new preamp tubes as well. I am aiming to get a real tight sound, sorta like Petrucci or as close to it as i can get.

Thanks!

Comment

Just gave it a try real quick, i did not notice and strange noises or static. Anything else i can try?

Comment

I like the Sovtek 6L6WXT+ output tube.

Comment

Any idea what kind of preamp tunes i should get?

Comment

I finally figured it out. I have a d-sonic in the bridge of my guitar, and a while ago i had switched it around. I forgot about it all together, until this morning. Switched it back around and bingo! I have alot more attack and clarity!

Comment

Working...
              X