Hex Pole Pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hex Pole Pieces

Anyone have a pic of a DiMarzio and/or Duncan hex polepiece? Do they have heads or are they a consistent diameter? And can anyone point me to a supplier?

They have threads. If you have a local screw and die shop, they should be able to get you what you are looking for. I once got some with a cone on the down side and put them in upside down, so at the top of each pole there was a little dish out. Looked better in my head than it did in real life ;]
    Wimsatt Instruments

Comment

They look just like set screws but they may be a special alloy and plated to boot.

Comment

Touchy subject I know, but GJ has them...I'm just sayin'...
        -Stan
        ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
        Stan Hinesley Pickups
        FaceBook

Comment

Originally posted by Stan H View Post
          Touchy subject I know, but GJ has them...I'm just sayin'...
          yeah...I don't think I'll be placing any orders with Pat any time soon.

But by looking at the tiny picture on the GJ site, it appears they are more like adjustable slugs with a consistent diameter (headless). Are they 5-40? I'd send Pat an email and ask but...

Comment

Dimarzio uses both styles. The Super Distortion, Super 2, Super 3, Evolution, Evo 2, Blaze, all use a "slug" bobbin and the bolt is like a "set screw" in that it's solid all the way down, threaded all the way down with a cone/cup tip. The other hex poles, on things like Tone Zone, Fred, PAF Pro, etc. are narrower, "screw" bobbins with keeper bars, and are only thicker at the head, just like a slotted screw pole. Our Full Shred and Screamin' Demon pickups use a hex head like that with a keeper bar, but our screws are shorter, so it's more like when someone cuts the bottom of their screws off to mod their pickup to be tighter and punchier sounding. Anyway sorry for the long rant but you need to know what kind of bobbin you're putting them in to know what diameter/style of screw you'll need.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
              Dimarzio uses both styles. The Super Distortion, Super 2, Super 3, Evolution, Evo 2, Blaze, all use a "slug" bobbin and the bolt is like a "set screw" in that it's solid all the way down, threaded all the way down with a cone/cup tip. The other hex poles, on things like Tone Zone, Fred, PAF Pro, etc. are narrower, "screw" bobbins with keeper bars, and are only thicker at the head, just like a slotted screw pole. Our Full Shred and Screamin' Demon pickups use a hex head like that with a keeper bar, but our screws are shorter, so it's more like when someone cuts the bottom of their screws off to mod their pickup to be tighter and punchier sounding. Anyway sorry for the long rant but you need to know what kind of bobbin you're putting them in to know what diameter/style of screw you'll need.
              Thanks Frank! I'm trying to find screw coil kind with the steel keeper,

Comment

If 5-40 x 3/4" length is your need you can get grade 8 steel here for $.18 ea
                MSC Item Detail

If you sign up for MSC sale emails, you'll get a regular 40% off coupon code.
                Last edited by David King; 01-29-2010, 02:13 AM.

Comment

McMasterCarr has set screws with heads or not and all types and sizes:
                  McMaster-Carr
                  http://www.SDpickups.com
                  Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

for slugs

I found that #10 sets screws are the same size and wrench as the 5-40 allen screw heads, and fit nicely in a slug bobbin, cutting their own threads as they go.
                    Shannon Hooge
                    NorthStar Guitar
                    northstarguitar.com

Comment

McMaster has 5-40 threaded set screws, check out their website and visit the set screw section, they pretty much have everything you need. I don't know what alloy any of that stuff is though, the ones you want just say "steel."
                      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                        McMaster has 5-40 threaded set screws, check out their website and visit the set screw section, they pretty much have everything you need. I don't know what alloy any of that stuff is though, the ones you want just say "steel."
                        Setscrews are made out of some kind of alloy steel and hardened very carefully. The details vary from maker to maker, and are usually trade secrets.

Also, McMaster buys from multiple makers to a single McMaster-written spec. McMaster supplies good stuff, so their customers generally trust them and don't insist on knowing who made what.

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                          McMasterCarr has set screws with heads or not and all types and sizes:
                          McMaster-Carr
                          Bah! I always forget about them. Thanks, Dave.

Comment

Hmmmm, hardened screws aren't a good idea for pickups. You'd just have to try them and see what they sound like.
                            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Cup point steel with black oxide finish will be the cheapest by far usually.
                              Cup point stainless won't generally be magnetic so not much use but still reasonably priced.

McMaster-Carr

I never would have guessed that McMaster Carr would be the cheaper source.

Comment

Working...
                              X