Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ampeg V4, maximizing headroom, needing real answers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should be mentioned that distortion in these amps can be easily due to the preamp. The first gain stage is before the volume control and a hot pickup will easily overdrive it. For clean sounds I have to run the attenuator switch at the -9 setting.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Ampeg V-4 and Headroom definition

The definition for headroom can be found at the following link, thus saving the writer some time in explaining...

A good definition I think...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headroo...nal_processing)

Comment

To maximize headroom, just plug your guitar straight into the FX return jack.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Define Headroom

headroom is the amount by which the signal-handling capabilities of an audio system exceed a designated level known as Permitted Maximum Level (PML). Headroom can be thought of as a safety zone allowing transient audio peaks to exceed the PML without exceeding the signal capabilities of an audio system (digital clipping, for example). Various standards bodies recommend various levels as Permitted Maximum Level.

also

A margin of audio safety between the current signal level and the maximum signal level possible without introducing distortion. Headroom is usually measured in decibels. When referring to a tape recorder, headroom is the difference between the standard operating level (0VU on the VU meter) and a level causing 3 percent total harmonic distortion. You can increase high frequency headroom by recording audio tape at higher speeds.

Comment

Working...
          X