X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with this head?

Hi all.
    I've just picked up this on fleabay:
    Goldentone Vintage Valve Amp Head Project - eBay, Standard Amps, Amplifiers, Musical Instruments. (end time 04-Feb-10 19:24:34 AEDST)

It's a Goldentone 40W or 60W head minus all the componets (box and chassis only!)
    What to do with it?

I want to build a 20-40W amp with Reverb and Trem (tank in the speaker cab - 2x12").
    I spent a little too much on the item (oops!) So I'm looking to keep costs down.
    I could attempt to re-build the GT circuit (1755-1759) however the transformers are expensive (A$200.00 for the power transformer).
    Wondering if I could go a cheaper option by using Fender replacement parts...

For starters I'm considering:
    1. Vibrolux Reverb.
    2. Marshall 6M40
    3. Gibson GA-19RVT
    4. ELK stageman 30 (don't see too many Jap clones on the forums!)

Thoughts and suggestions?
    Regards, MFWalker1
    Attached Files

A buddy of mine had a cool ELK bandmaster clone when we were kids (20 years ago) it had seen much better days (and knowing what i know now, probably needed a cap job and some new tubes...) but sounded pretty good!

Comment

It depends on what you want. I would build a hot rodded 50 watt JCM 800 in it with a better reverb. It would be a real sleeper. But that's me.

Comment

I think you could have bought a non-working Goldentone, at some pawnshop/Salvation Army/whatever for that price or not much more, it would have solved 80% of your problem.
        You would have had to repair it, of course, or build a new preamp re-using a lot of what you got.
        With what you bought, you only have about 5% of an amp.
        EDIT: not to sour your day, but I found on EBay-AU a *working* Goldentone combo, with reverb and, obviously, speaker (and cloth, knobs, everything) for AU$75 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , some AU$25 less than what you paid for an empty cabinet, empty rusty chassis, no front panel, full of poorly hand drilled holes.
        Just my proverbial two cents.
        http://cgi.ebay.com.au/vintage-ampli...item3a576c53db
        Last edited by J M Fahey; 02-05-2010, 04:55 PM. Reason: Find this post a joke.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Ouch... give the guy a break... maybe he's a novice.
          How many other gurus have never made a little purchasing mistake?
          I wish I could have some of my goofs back.
          Bruce

Mission Amps
          Denver, CO. 80022
          www.missionamps.com
          303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
            Ouch... give the guy a break... maybe he's a novice.
            How many other gurus have never made a little purchasing mistake?
            I wish I could have some of my goofs back.
            I agree. And...the eBay amp is a small combo probably 15 watts (looks like EL84s or something close), And... it's still 5 DAYS OUT. It will probably go for much more than that. A decent cab and chassis for a 50 head will cost you over $200 nowadays, so it isn't a total rip. One man's junk is another man's treasure. It's no more than a bar tab on a hot night.

Comment

MFWalker,
              No worries. You got fair intrinsic value for the price you paid.
              Based on the cost for a bare chassis and a cab you are well on your way to a fun project.
              Cheers,
              Tom

Comment

Hi. Yep a noob here. One build so far - a 5E3 Ceriatone. Got the bug now.
                AU$100 is probably too much - agreed. Ebay can be an addiction...
                But then a vibroverb chassis is AU$145.00 new here. And then you have to build a box.
                Co-incidentaly the 'suitcase' GT mentioned is identical to one I used to own many years ago and stupidly gave away!
                Still weighing up the options.

Comment

OK, sorry, no harm intended and no offense implied.
                  My full apologies to MFWalker.
                  I want to state clearly that I was really pissed off by the guy who *sold* "that" in such condition.
                  I get very angry at people who takes advantage of beginners and naïve people in general; I'm sorry if some of that anger colored my answer to somebody who, clearly, is the loser in this deal.
                  The EBay description was absolutely misleading, it implied a vintage amplifier, it just was not so.
                  By the way, I have long been a fan of the peculiar Aussie amps, and think they were the only ones to successfully tame the lowly 6DQ6 into good practical Guitar and Bass Amps.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                    OK, sorry, no harm intended and no offense implied.
                    My full apologies to MFWalker.
                    I want to state clearly that I was really pissed off by the guy who *sold* "that" in such condition.
                    I get very angry at people who takes advantage of beginners and naïve people in general; I'm sorry if some of that anger colored my answer to somebody who, clearly, is the loser in this deal.
                    The EBay description was absolutely misleading, it implied a vintage amplifier, it just was not so.
                    By the way, I have long been a fan of the peculiar Aussie amps, and think they were the only ones to successfully tame the lowly 6DQ6 into good practical Guitar and Bass Amps.
                    A gentleman's response.
                    Bruce

Mission Amps
                    Denver, CO. 80022
                    www.missionamps.com
                    303-955-2412

Comment

So, do you still own that Elk Stageman? Can you post some pictures of it?

Comment

Working...
                      X