fat/smooth switch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fat/smooth switch.

hi,new to the forum.i built a german design madamp g2 2watt amp(great little amp with just a volume/tone and fat smooth switch)the thing is i am not getting a great responce from the fat/smooth sw.the smooth switch has a 4.7nf cap and the fat has a 47uf cap in the circuit,do i just lower and raise these values to get a better responce and any ideas what values would be good.cheers.

Do you have a copy of the schematic?

Usually a "fat" switch switches a larger cathode bypass cap into one of the preamp stages (at least on fenders), I assume that's what yours is doing too.

Certainly the 47uF cap should provide substantially more low end than the .0047 cap.

Comment

fat/smooth

am i allowed to post the drawings?

Comment

I would try a 50v-25uf cap. I use that in my preamp tone switching and it is huge.

Comment

here is the circuit.
          Attached Files

Comment

switching in the smooth cap acts like a short circuit for the higher frequencies. If the guitar sounded fizzy or harsh, switching in that cap will make it sound "smooth".

Comment

i see what you mean.i just thought that you would get more of a responce from them ie change the tone a little more.can i change values of the caps and see what difference they make? cheers.

Comment

sure you may experiment. don't go too large in capacitance or you'll lose so much top end the amp will sound muddy.

Comment

thanks for that.will try a few out.

Comment

Working...
                  X