Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried Kaoss Pad AC transformer

Hi all,

I just did an incredibly stupid thing, and plugged in my new Kaoss Pad 3 using the USA transformer (110V only) in the UK using a simple plug adaptor. When I powered on the unit, it did not respond at all. I noticed a very small amount of smoke near the plug on the back of the KP3 and quickly disconnected the power. I then plugged the transformer into a proper converter (rated up to 45W) and using a multimeter have proved that the transformer is toast (only a very tiny voltage reading - I've confirmed the multimeter ok with another working transformer). I have also confirmed the converter is ok.

Before I order a UK KP3 transformer for £30, what are the chances that the unit is ok, given the small puff of smoke I saw? Furthermore, assuming it is broken, what is the likelihood that it will be a 'simple' repair job?

I plan to try and find somewhere locally that stocks the KP3 so that I can take my unit in and test it with a working transformer, but I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on the questions above.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Puff Of Smoke

For a brief instant you doubled the voltage going into the unit.
    There are usually diodes on the input side of the circuit.
    You may have caused one to fail.
    Or something else.
    Smoke is not good.
    I would get it checked out.

Comment

Well, I took it to an electronics repair shop and I've blown something nasty (i.e. not replaceable) on one of the main PCBs (KLM 2735d). Got in touch with Korg and a new one will cost £95, expensive lesson I guess but at least I don't have to buy a whole new unit!

Cheers,

Jon

Comment

Hey, I have the same problem as you, but i think i can still fix it if i know what components are this...
        Need help for that, i've been looking for their names, i think they are resistances for the power button or the plug, but i don't know...
        Can you help me out?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaoss Pad3 Fried Components.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	842224

Thank you for your help and time

Comment

I would mail it all to Korg and play dumb. They might replace it if it is under or near waranty. In the US I usually buy stuff like that from Sweetwater or MF. They look the other way. They want your continued business.

Comment

The 'fried' parts in the photo are inductors.
            The give away is the designator "L". which stands for inductor.

No idea what value they are.
            For that you need the schematic.

Comment

And they are passive components, so something else is very likely bad inside.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
              X