Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender 5f1 Parts list – Specifically Transformers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender 5f1 Parts list – Specifically Transformers.

Hello All,

This is my first post to this forum; it looks like a great community. I am interested in building a Fender Champ 5f1 Head and I am curious if anyone has any experience with Hammond transformers. The only reason I ask about Hammond, is I have access to a ton of them.

Which one should I use for the Power and Output transformers? Model #’s would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Originally posted by BassmanTweed View Post
    Hello All,

This is my first post to this forum; it looks like a great community. I am interested in building a Fender Champ 5f1 Head and I am curious if anyone has any experience with Hammond transformers. The only reason I ask about Hammond, is I have access to a ton of them.

Which one should I use for the Power and Output transformers? Model #’s would be appreciated.

Cheers!
    For the output transformer (OT) you could use the 125CSE, 125DSE, or 125ESE. I've used the 125ESE in Champ/Tweed Princeton circuits and while it is over kill, it sounds good.

For the PT it depends on whether or not you want to use a tube rectifier. I wouldn't bother, since the 5F1 is a Class A circuit, you won't get much if any sag from the tube recto. There is voltage drop depending on the type of tube recitifer, though.

I've been using UF4007s for rectifiers in my Tweed Princeton circuits (5F1 with a tone control). They are supposed to cut down on switching noise in the PS.

I've had good luck with the 270EX. I get about 350v actual plate to cathode voltage.

If all you want to use is a 6V6 then the 270CX and 270DX would work as well.

There are a few other hammonds that would work as well:

270AX, 269JX, 270DAX, for lower voltages

271X, 272BX, 272X, for higher voltages.

HTH,

steve

Comment

Hey Steve thanks for the quick reply.

Is there a power Transformer you would reccomend if I wanted o stay as close to the original as possible?

This is the schematic I will be following. It is basically the weber amp, but I am using my own parts.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/5f1_schem.jpg

Cheers!
      Last edited by BassmanTweed; 01-26-2007, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassmanTweed View Post
        Hey Steve thanks for the quick reply.

Is there a power Transformer you would reccomend if I wanted o stay as close to the original as possible?

This is the schematic I will be following. It is basically the weber amp, but I am using my own parts.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/5f1_schem.jpg

Cheers!
        A while back, someone posted unloaded voltages from a real '56 champ PT, using a Variac to adjust the PT for different line voltages:

110 VAC -> 240-0-240
        117 -> 255-0-255
        120 -> 262-0-262
        123 -> 268-0-268
        Based on that I'd suggest a 270CAX or 270DAX.

HTH,

steve

Comment

Working...
        X