Aluminium TO3 insulators??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminium TO3 insulators??

I have a Carlsbro with a pair of to3 style output transistors (MJ15022's) and the insulators seem to be aluminium with a thin plastic coating? Has anyone come across these and do they tend to short? (im replacing them with normal mica ones, i just wondered out of curiosity)

Originally posted by allante666 View Post
    I have a Carlsbro with a pair of to3 style output transistors (MJ15022's) and the insulators seem to be aluminium with a thin plastic coating? Has anyone come across these and do they tend to short? (im replacing them with normal mica ones, i just wondered out of curiosity)
    Maybe. Hard-anodized (that is, sapphire coated ) insulators were common at one time. I can well imagine that a hard plastic coating would work too.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

You don't see those TOO often, and I am glad. Though anodized aluminum has non-conductive surfaces, they would DEFINITELY conduct if something penetrated the anodized layer. I always go with regular ol' mica for this reason.
      John R. Frondelli
      dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

I prefer the Sil-pad things. These don't bleed goo and are insulating to several hundred volts or more. Easy to work with and about the same thermal resistance as gooed up mica.
        Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
          I prefer the Sil-pad things. These don't bleed goo and are insulating to several hundred volts or more. Easy to work with and about the same thermal resistance as gooed up mica.
          I refuse to use Silpad's unless there is no other choice. I've seen several instances of TO-220 and other tab-style heat sinks cut through them causing a short. If there is a burr, you can be screwed in the long run. I will also purchase most of the tab-style semiconductors in the FullPack version, which runs the epoxy case over the back of the heat sink tab as well, eliminating the need for an insulator, just grease.
          John R. Frondelli
          dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Working...
          X