Oscilloscope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscilloscope

When (in the amp-tech-ing learning curve) is it time to buy one?

How much should I expect to spend?

Are there guidelines for shopping for a used one?

If you can afford it and have a basic understanding of analog circuits, it's time. It helps to have a mentor or someone who can steer you in the right direction.

There are plenty of deals to be had in SoCal with all the companies going out of business. You could set your budget anywhere from $100 up and find something that will do the job. Find a place that sells used scopes that will demo what you want to buy. Stay away from anyone who won't give a demo, says they don't know if it works or don't know anything about it.

Then there are the little boxes that connect to your computer via USB. Not a bad way to go but some will be limited in features and capabilities.

Don't forget probes. You'll need at least one X10 or X100 for tube work. And you'll need some type of signal generator.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Use the serch funtion here. We have discussed buying scopes a few times already.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Groover View Post

The very first O'scope I bought was an old Heathkit scope for $5.00 from an old Ham guy who was "done" with it. it worked fine for most everything except RF.
        But a year or so later I found a very cool old rack mount, 500KHz HP scope at a local Ham Radio Swapmeet in 1975-1976 for about $5 but it needed a new 6L6 tube (which was used as a voltage regulator of sorts) and it needed some probes. It also worked fine for everything except RF,
        After I learned how to really use the darn things, I gave the Heathkit away and the HP was on my bench for at least 8-10 years until it just started acting way too weird so, I bought a brand 20MHz dual channel scope for like $650.00, ... thinking I deserved it and I was doing a lot of 2-way radio repair at the time so I liked the idea of being able to test those under 15mHz oscillators.
        Now, I have three, two 20MHz dual trace scopes but my best one is probably my good old used, 100MHz, dual channel Tektronix 465, ...
        bought "calibrated" for $175.00.
        Ironically, and to be honest, for all the audio work I do now, the Tek 465 doesn't really work much better then my clunky old single channel. 500KHz, $5 HP gronk....
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Suppose you were looking to buy a new one, strictly for audio work. Where would you look?

Comment

Originally posted by otto pärt View Post
            Suppose you were looking to buy a new one, strictly for audio work. Where would you look?
            A reputable seller on Ebay

oscilloscope, Business Industrial, Computers Networking. Great deals on eBay!

but:
            Protek - Test and Measurement
            10MHz Single Channel Oscilloscope | GW Instek | GOS-310 (GOS310)
            Instek GOS620 20 MHz Triggering Oscilloscope, Instek GOS-602 - Sale Priced Instek on Sale at Test Equipment Depot
            Bruce

Mission Amps
            Denver, CO. 80022
            www.missionamps.com
            303-955-2412

Comment

Idiot's guide

Tales From The Tone Lounge: The Idiot's Guide To (analog) Oscilloscopes!

This site is pretty straightforward and has other handy links

http://www.radio-electronics.com/inf...ying_scope.php
              Last edited by tubeswell; 04-01-2010, 05:21 PM.
              Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

There's a guy in Orange County that occasionally sells refurbished Tektronix 465s. Costs more than your typical E-bay seller (though not always by much), but at least you know your getting a nice piece of equipment.
                "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                - Yogi Berra

Comment

Madell has decent new scopes. Their 10MHz single channel is only $150.

Comment

Be careful on Ebay, make sure you buy one that actually has been tested. A lot of scopes on there are listed as 'powers on, but daon't have probes so can't test'.

I bought two on the bay, one was damaged beyond repair and the other was perfect and almost like new(yet was listed as not working).

Comment

Originally posted by DIY_Guy View Post
                      Be careful on Ebay, make sure you buy one that actually has been tested. A lot of scopes on there are listed as 'powers on, but daon't have probes so can't test'.

I bought two on the bay, one was damaged beyond repair and the other was perfect and almost like new(yet was listed as not working).
                      That's a real good point. I belong to a Tek scopes group on Yahoo and there's some real horror stories of scopes being destroyed in shipping. CRTs are fragile and the shipper has to know how to properly pack these things. I've bought a couple on e-bay, and several needed repairs. Beware of statements like "removed from working environment"
                      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                      - Yogi Berra

Comment

I got a Tek T922 for $50 to replace the old RCA tube model I used for years,with seperate electronic switch to make it dual trace capable.The 922 has been going strong for almost 10 years now.Its dual trace,15MHz enough for any amp work.I still see some on ebay for $100 and less.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
                          ...Beware of statements like "removed from working environment"
                          Kind of like "ran when parked".

Comment

O'Scope

You can try some soundcard o'scopes to get you familiar with the concepts. Some of them also give you spectrum analyzer capability.

Check out Visual Analyzer at Visual Analyser 2010 NE-XT v2.4

Charles Luke
                            "clean" distortion musical products
                            GizmoAudio, the Sawmill distortion overdrive guitar pedal

Comment

Working...
                            X