Help with transistor sub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with transistor sub

I have a Mashall VS100 with bad outputs. Can I use these as subs?

BDV65 OEM
    can I use a 2N3055 or 2SD718
    the normal sub is TIP142

BDV64 OEM
    can I use a MJ2955 or 2SB688
    the normal sub is TIP147

using transistors I have if I can don't have the TIP's

Basically no.

First, the originals and those TIPs are Darlington transistors - internally they are dual transistors with a LOT more gain than plain old transistors. Like a gain of 1000 instead of a gain of 50.

Second, the 2N3055 is not remotely shaped like the BDV part. The "package" is wrong. How would you mount it?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the reply

I didn't use my head on this one. I just had a box of new transistors and heatsinks for audio amps. I just didn't have the correct subs.
      I have the preamp working. The amp has been roughed up alot. It was threw out in the driveway at a Nashville studio. So it is just a project amp
      I will order the correct subs for the power amp.
      Thanks again for the info.
      Jess

Comment

Every valvestate I've ever heard I wanted to throw out in the driveway......
        The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

I am sure you are right

this one is a mess. I just pickup them up to mess with so I don't expect much out of this thing.

Comment

They make a lovely planter.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

not this one not much left

the cab is broken, and the panel with marshall logo on it is gone. I have it working as a preamp, just a few parts and it will have life again. I have a few more old amps to play with til parts come in.
              I just finished a Standell Studio 60 and a Custom head, Thanks for all your replys on this site. I am kind of slow to pick up stuff, but I have got alot out of you posts on all of these subjects.
              Jess

Comment

Working...
              X