1/4" x 3/4" alnico rods for P-bass pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4" x 3/4" alnico rods for P-bass pickup

I've read that Fender used 3/16" x 5/8" rods.

Is using the larger magnets a bad idea?

How would they alter the sound?

I'll be using 43 instead of 42.

Originally posted by GlennW View Post
    I've read that Fender used 3/16" x 5/8" rods.

Is using the larger magnets a bad idea?

How would they alter the sound?

I'll be using 43 instead of 42.
    The larger magnets will give you a bit more output. Duncan uses 1/4" magnets in the quarter pounder pickups.

It will sound different from a stock pickup... the 43 will cause that also, but it should sound good. That's why after market P bass pickups came out in the first place! People wanted more oomph.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks David. That's what I was hoping, but I wasn't sure if there would be negative side effects. I've temporarily stuck some Strat pickups rewound with 43 in a bass and they sound pretty good.

Comment

Glenn, Bigger magnets will increase the pull on the strings and kill off some sustain, it's something to keep in mind.

Comment

Thanks, David.

I read something about Hagstrom going from smaller magnets with more wire to larger magnets with less wire to get about the same output on their Bi-Sonic.
          Last edited by GlennW; 02-01-2007, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
            Glenn, Bigger magnets will increase the pull on the strings and kill off some sustain, it's something to keep in mind.
            True, but bass strings are so massive compared to guitar strings that loss of sustain would be far less of an issue even with larger mags. Not something to be totally ignored, mind you, just not as much of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
              True, but bass strings are so massive compared to guitar strings that loss of sustain would be far less of an issue even with larger mags. Not something to be totally ignored, mind you, just not as much of a problem.
              True.. keep in mind that Music Man pickups have eight 1/4 alnico magnets!

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Or 8 3/8" magnets as the case may be...

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                  Or 8 3/8" magnets as the case may be...
                  Errr, yes, even 3/8! (I thought they looked kind of big!)

Comment

Working...
                  X