Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fostex A-8LR Tact Switches

Good Afternoon!

I am in need of tact switches for this ol' Fostex. I'm hoping someone has knowledge of a source. They measure 10mm x 10mm, Flat button, and height is approx. 2.1mm. I ordered from Mouser - but only got close - they didn't work. <sigh>

There are 6 of these in all - and are on the control circuit board for Play/Record, etc. I have the service manual - but individual switch info is not listed. I'm thinking these are SPST on/off (?)

Thank you (in advance)
    Regards,
    C

Which ones did you get from Mouser, and what way did they not work?

For example, these (Mouser stock 633-JB15HAP-4FF) are 10x10 with a flat button. If something like that is not tall enough, a little shim of plastic can be glued to the top of the button as an extender.

And look in Allied and Digikey. very rare I can;t find a tactile switch in one of those suppliers.

This is where a paper catalog shines. You can flip through pages of tactile switches looking visually for what you are trying to match. SO much easier than entering serach parameters over and over.

And are the switches just worn out and iffy, or do they all just not work? That is, could there be a circuit problem?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Could be they just need to be cleaned. Use a toothpick and run a drop of deoxit into them....operate several times. Work now? I do this all the time and it always works so long as the switches still mechanically operate (click).
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

When DeOxIt won't work on recalcitrant switches, there is an even PRICIER compound we purchased called Stabilant 22A that restores conductivity. It's amazing! Google it. It might save the day, or your ass!
        John R. Frondelli
        dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Thank you all -! Excellent advice - and I *do* happen to have the paper version of Mouser & DigiKey. doh. The Mouser switches I got are P/N 633-JB15FP. A bit too tall - and they didn't work when installed. I have 2 of the originals that have collapsed (metal) actuators - no clicking. I just thought I'd replace all of them for cosmetic purposes mostly. I'll go through the catalog this evening while watching Survivor - ha.

Thanks again guys!

Regards and good fixin's to you,
          C

Comment

The part number you list is 4.2mm tall. The similar part number I suggested is only 1.8mm tall, otherwise about the same. Might make the difference.

If your switch is too tall, when everything is assembled, it may make the plastic button caps hold the switches down, which would keep them from working.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks, Enzo. I'm ordering the ones you suggested here - haven't a clue how I missed that ..... but then, tri-focals have never really been a friend to me.

As always, good fixin's to you!

C

Comment

Working...
              X