Tube reverb driver circuits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rhodesplyr View Post
    What amplitude signal input does the AU7 need to achieve this drive level?
    Load line suggests a bias of 6 to 8V, so the input voltage would be 12-16Vp-p for full output.

Comment

Yep, that agrees with what I found in practice. My self-split 12AU7 needed a good whack of drive, and made about 0.5 watt before obvious distortion.

Of course with a reverb driver, the distortion doesn't really matter, because the filtering effect of the tank is so strong. You can clip the drive to hell, and it just adds a bit of extra brightness to the tone, which is (IMO) how the Fender one manages to get usable results with its puny 12AT7.

I think the self-split needs almost twice the drive that a single tube does.

Mooreamps: POG MO THOIN Light T-Shirt - CafePress United Kingdom
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by mooreamps View Post
        I actually think of myself as Irish ; hence the "fine" intellect ; and no I am not going to give you any more free technology to publish in your book.

-g

I'm gonna call this one, hopefully someone will back me up here.

I've seen many people here share a lot of information and share it freely, even when there is a chance it'll hurt their own business. Many forum members rely on the sales of their designs to make a living. They don't generally complain about the use of their ideas and are usually very helpful when someone is trying to learn something- which accounts for most of us.

I've seen you complain about intellectual property and yet I've never once seen you contribute a schematic or example of anything that would be helpful. You often make blind statements with no scientific fact to back them up and then fail to do so if challenged. You have the arrogance to think you've come up with something new and brilliant but without sharing that info you have nothing- only your own pride. Modded Valve Juniors do not make you Randall Smith.

In a nutshell, you fail to contribute in a positive while you scan the forum collecting info from others.

Shouldn't we then be afraid of you?

OTOH, Merlin has compiled documented tube circuits that we can find elsewhere (and credited the sources) while giving straightforward mathematical relationships to explain their operation and commenting on the subjective tonal variations. I can't see how that is theft in any way. In addition to publishing a very helpful book he hangs out on the internet and helps people like us. That should say something about his intent and interests.

OK, done ranting now. Onward with the reverb drive thread.

jamie

Comment

Originally posted by Merlinb View Post
          One AU7 triode with 10k load and 10k in series with the tank should drive the tank pretty well yeah, if you run the AU7 with about 10mA quiescent current. In SIM I'm seeing up to 3mA RMS into the tank- nice!
          Merlin would you pls look at a thread I started re a similar quandary I have with an old Vox circuit and give me some advice here https://music-electronics-forum.com/...29053&posted=1

Comment

Working...
          X