Nos Plain Enamel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nos Plain Enamel

What is the Full Range coating on the old stuff. You guys who know......Whats up with this.Min/Nom....Nom/Max......Fullrange coating. Yo Spence, Im lovin the uk riight now.....Til I get the wire........

You can ask some wire suppliers to find you the wire with thicker or thinner coatings because they will vary because of engineering tolerances for the same gauge.
    Some suppliers will probably hang up on you.
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Yeah, they seem to know everything about pickups.....WTF? I just got some PE from an ebayer in england. He claims it is written as Full Range. Claims its the really old stuff. What exactly is Full Range Coating? Its 44,&43 awg PE too. Says its really really dark, basically black.That makes me happy... I like the insane shit...high ohms with clarity. Sells good where I'm at, but things are slow right now, a polar blast has got everyone at a standstill. Its 0. Windchill-17.
      You know, MWS says they have 44pe. They have none!! Its on their website too. There's none to be found. Full range has be a little nervous?

Comment

Sounds like the guys is bullshitting. What's his ebay ID. I'd like to have a look at his shit. I may just know who that is.
        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

free range chicken

its heavy build.....
          http://www.SDpickups.com
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
            Sounds like the guys is bullshitting. What's his ebay ID. I'd like to have a look at his shit. I may just know who that is.
            Let me recieve my goodies first...and check for the real deal. If it isn't, your close enough to smack him for me. 44awg plain enamel is very rare, unless you want to order it at 100lbs. Even if you did order it, ofcoarse it would have to come from rea, and not the earlier company.

Comment

I have 44 AWG solderable plain enamel from Scientific of London. It's a really good wire actually. It's nice not to have to scrape the lacquer off 44 gauge.
              sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Who did you talk to at scientific of london to get plain enamel? I talked to Tak who told me I better talk to Ray. Then Ray said he didn't know what I was talking about. Does Plain enamel have a different name?

Comment

Wow Spence, surprise surprise......Do you make high ohms too? 44 is quite small...and nice to work with for the insane things. I'm personally hoping to get some nice vocal quality out of it. Maybee around 18k....Custom cut magnets. 43 seems to be a tad to full, and even with a high(screw side) offset the lowend is a bit loose. tHE HIGHS have the classic shhhhh with the higher offset and 43. I liked the 44 poly, but the poly just does'nt do it for me. Theres something about good PE that can't be beat.....

Comment

I spoke to Ray. He can be the most patronizing bastard on Earth but he knows I'm not going to take it lying down.

I use 44AWG to make 16 K humbuckers; narrow bobbins, clear sound andI also use it for hot Tele sets wher the neck is 10 K on A3 with an A5 bridge at 13 K. it also comes in handy for the odd Hofner rewind.
                    I've also used it in hot calibrated Strat sets where the neck's done with 42, middle 43 and 44 on the bridge.
                    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Spence. You don't find that the 44 looses bass response at 16k? I normally use 43 pe at 16k, wound tight with an a5. Works wonders in a LesPAul. The maple cap really helps too. This paticular pickup isn't that great in Sg's though. With the 44 at 16k.... Nice and clear, but the lowend really wants more. That 44 was poly also.....this is Pe. I always hear a boomyer lowend with poly.......Now all we need to do is convince Possum that High ohmers are ok..............old buzzard he is. J/K dave

Comment

I haven't really had that problem but sometimes I'll use A4 rather than A5.

I used the 16K humbucker in the bridge of my Les Paul for years with a 7.9 in the neck. The idea was to coil tap the 16K bridge pickup so that when tapped I could approximate the sound of a Tele custom. It was quite good for that.

Personally I prefer to keep things a little lower for vintage demo purposes and the kind of gigs I play.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jazz guitar 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	810621
                        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

I've got a guitar I made with a Duncan Full Shred in it in the bridge position. I used to have a Duncan JB in the bridge position. Those are like 14.5k and 16k respectively, so I would guess he's using some thinner wire like 44 in those. Anyway, they don't work that great at the blues jam Possum and I go to, but they do work fine for hard rock/heavy metal stuff. Possum mostly plays blues and jazz things, so thats why most of his pickups tailor to that crowd. I'll have to drag him out to some heavy metal/alternative show around town so he can hear what those guys are using and maybe then you might be able to convince him to try something higher DCR.

Greg

Comment

tired old buzzard...

Well interestingly enough the first bucker I ever made was I think 12K with 44, potted (duh, didn't know better). It just didn't do much for me then. you ought to try 44 heavy build to open up the tone some more, sounds like your NOS wire might be this so should be interesting. I've got good results with 43 soderon heavy. Mostly I wanted to perfect the PAF tone thing and I think I maybe have beat that one into just about perfection, still waiting for those scrrews for the final touch hopefully...
                            http://www.SDpickups.com
                            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Soundmasterg, make sure you take him to see some bands that DON'T SUX! Thats important, otherwise you may never get Possum past 12k. J/k. Seriously, theres nothing worst that a deathmetal shit band at full volume. Nothing wrong with DM if its tight.....And make sure to slide a few brews in him befor hand. Do it Dave, do it!

Comment

Working...
                              X