Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another noob question. When I disconnect the speaker and connect a dummy load...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another noob question. When I disconnect the speaker and connect a dummy load...

BK 3001 signal generator into amp (aa764) into dummy load. When the speaker is completely disconnected, i can hear the signal from the generator coming from the amp, tone changes as i turn the knob on the generator. I called my wife in to see if i was just hearing things and she confirmed this. Why can I hear the signal? Where is that sound coming from?

It is your output transformer "singing" most likely.

Roll up a magazine into a cylinder, or use the cardboard tube from a paper towel roll. Hold it to your ear and use it to listen around the amp. Like a stethoscope. That should make it easier to pinpoint sound sources.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yep...you're hearing output transformer ring. Perfectly normal.
      Jon Wilder
      Wilder Amplification

Originally posted by m-fine
      I don't know about you, but I find it a LOT easier to change a capacitor than to actually learn how to play well
      Originally posted by JoeM
      I doubt if any of my favorite players even own a soldering iron.

Comment

The transformer coils are moving the air

And it is most noticeable around 1 khz where your ears are most sensitive. I've heard that on every tube amp I've ever hooked to a resistive load.
        Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

good, I'm glad to "hear" this is normal. if anyone can explain , why can I hear the signal? as I understand (which isn't much, yet) the output transformer is just cores and coils, I don't see the potential for this signal to be heard audibly. I guess it's not really important that I undertand this with everyhig I need to learn about tube amps itself, just curious.

Comment

Believe it or not, as tightly wound as the coil wire is, the magnetism of said wire is enough to cause the coil wire to move just enough to produce the sound you're hearing.
            Jon Wilder
            Wilder Amplification

Originally posted by m-fine
            I don't know about you, but I find it a LOT easier to change a capacitor than to actually learn how to play well
            Originally posted by JoeM
            I doubt if any of my favorite players even own a soldering iron.

Comment

The wires are moved by the electromagnetic fields inside the transformer and this motion is transferred to the insulation wrapping and then to the air where it is picked up by your ear.
              Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

Working...
              X