No announcement yet.

Implications of multi AC in windings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Implications of multi AC in windings...

On the schematic from my old Epiphone Blues Custom 30, there are two 120V ins. In the original amp, they were connected parallel, so 120 was feeding into both. What are the implications of using both or using only one?

The two 120V windings are a way to "internationalize" the transformer. Connect the two in series and you can use a 240V supply. Connect just one of the two and you'll probably overload the windings. Each winding supplies half the wattage required by the amp, so if you use just one, you don't have enough power available and the current overload will burn out the one winding that is connected.
    Tom S

Comment

Originally posted by schraedertr View Post
      The two 120V windings are a way to "internationalize" the transformer. Connect the two in series and you can use a 240V supply. Connect just one of the two and you'll probably overload the windings. Each winding supplies half the wattage required by the amp, so if you use just one, you don't have enough power available and the current overload will burn out the one winding that is connected.
      That's about what I figured. I knew about series connecting them for 220-240, and I had just one of the windings hooked up for a couple of weeks, but I went back in the amp and hooked them both parallel for 120v, just for safety's sake.

Comment

Working...
      X