Guitar Amp Grade Capacitors ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Amp Grade Capacitors ???

I just read in the Kendrick newsletter that Kendrick is selling their own capacitors. Gerald claims they are modeled after the Sprague Atom caps with non-etched foil.

Kendrick Amplifiers Online Store: 20UF 500 volt Filter Capacitor
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
    I just read in the Kendrick newsletter that Kendrick is selling their own capacitors. Gerald claims they are modeled after the Sprague Atom caps with non-etched foil.

Kendrick Amplifiers Online Store: 20UF 500 volt Filter Capacitor
    custom printed mylar shrink tubes are getting reasonable I guess...

he advocates a 70uf->220uf switch for Fenders,
    Kendrick Amplifiers Online Store: 220uf 350 volt filter capacitor
    wonder what the cap on the inside is? (kidding!)

they are cheaper than Atoms..but most things are.

Comment

"These full size capacitors are perfect for upgrading the 70 uf 350 volt Main filter capacitors found on mnost [sic] Fenders. It keeps the amp in tune at louder volumes and discourages out of tune ghost notes."

I used to have problems with my going out of tune, especially in drafty venues, but now with the great advances in electronic tuners I don't have to worry!
      I hear Gibson is coming out with a "Robot Amp", which re-tunes itself to keep up with the "Robot Guitar".

Comment

They look like Xicon or Richey OEM caps.

Comment

Much has been made about "regular" guitar amps creating a discordant sound with certain chords and/or notes, by GW (EVH's rapid beating of the major third?)

GW: "The "out of tuneness" in classic tube amps is caused by inadequate filtering in the power supply.When more current is used, you need more filtering. Turn up your classic Fender (or Fender copy, reissue,etc.), Marshall or Vox and notice the ugly "out of tune" sub-harmonics - especially when playing a "B" or "B flat". Maybe I shouldn't have told you about those "out of tune" sub-harmonics found in other classic amps. Ignorance is bliss. If you haven't noticed them before, you most certainly will now. The GWSA tone is pure and "in tune" at any volume - thanks to a superior design in the power supply and highest quality American-made filter capacitors."

If this "problem" is solved by different caps, preamp topology or the Buzz Feiten Tuning System is unclear in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
            Much has been made about "regular" guitar amps creating a discordant sound with certain chords and/or notes, by GW (EVH's rapid beating of the major third?)(emphasis added)
            This could have something to do with equal tempered tuning - guitar design is based on an equal tempered scale, and major thirds will always beat on a properly tuned guitar, as they are significantly sharp compared to the pure major third defined by the harmonic of the fundamental frequency.

Comment

I've heard that "ghosting" on lots of recordings (AC/DC, VH, whatever), and I think it really bothers some people but unless droves of listeners are throwing these recordings out due to the "problem" I'm not really buying this. There was a thread on ghosting in Marshalls and IIRC I had to point out sections of a song where it was, so if it was non-obvious to someone who (I assume) plays guitar, then I think you have to wonder if this is actually some sort of universal problem.

(sry) bit OT, but man have axial electros gone expensive! (Was checking out sources/prices for 100uF/350V for an old Guyatone.) 10x or more than a radial.

Comment

There is also the phenomenon of (sum and) difference frequencies which can add a low tone when playing two (or more) notes together. This can be really apparent when playing two-note intervals with a lot of distortion/gain, especially when you are bending one of the notes. You can hear the low tone of the difference frequency changing in pitch as you bend the played note.

I believe this is a property of acoustics/physics and doesn't always mean there is something "wrong" with the amp.

Comment

Shoot, we're guitar players. Who cares about playing in B flat?

B Flat is for those damn goatee wearing, beret topped, snooty ass jazz playing sax players.
                  Stop by my web page!

Comment

Originally posted by Regis View Post

B Flat is for those damn goatee wearing, beret topped, snooty ass jazz playing sax players.
                    then to hell with it!

I have to take your word for this as I believe notes songs and keys are antiquated concepts which hold back my noise production.

Comment

Originally posted by Regis View Post
                      +1

Interesting observations about beating, dissonances, tempering and so on, though.

I think quite a few guitar players will subconsciously correct intervals like major thirds by bending one of the notes a little.

I also agree that high gain gives you dissonant beats and throbs, power supply ripple or not.

And finally, on the original topic, what's this about non-etched foil? The whole point of etching the foil is to get more capacitance for the same physical amount of foil. Half the capacitance in twice the case size, must be a good thing, right?
                      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

And finally, on the original topic, what's this about non-etched foil?
                        Etched foil caps offer higher volumetric efficiency but show slightly higher ESR and can't stand as much ripple current as plain foil models.

Comment

All those vintage amps suffering from ghost notes is probably not for lack of being made with good quality, low ESR caps. It's more likely because most of those amps have OLD caps and/or grounding schemes that aren't ideal. GW is just using this phenomenon as a selling point. I'm all for better caps though. Some guy's say 'Low ESR, schmoe ESR. It doesn't matter enough to care'. I personally like low ESR caps for my builds. But I've read there have been times when a higher ESR cap improved overall tone. I think the subject is still up for debate.

The amps I've been building lately use plain ATOM caps. I try to idealize my grounds and I get no audible ghosting. These are high gain non master volume amps that live with the volume cranked. Much higher gain than any vintage amp.

GW is up to his snake oil sales techniques to infer that vintage amps used a lesser cap than the ones he's using. Too bad too, because if you weed out the BS the GW Signature amp pitch sounds pretty good anyway. Selling pseudo tech to pie eyed players just cheapens the picture for me.

Chuck
                          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

audio example from around 2:40:

YouTube - Van Halen - Drop Dead Legs

I listened to this over and over until FINALLY it dawned on me what that was.

I actually think it sounds kinda cool.

another one, about 3:40:

YouTube - AC/DC - Back in Black

Comment

Ironman II cross promotion forced embed disable on AC/DC vids, but we get the idea.

beating notes is how every guitarist tunes up right?

Comment

Working...
                              X