Replacement tube and caps for HA3500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement tube and caps for HA3500

Hi all! I have a Hartke HA3500 that didn't sound as good as I thought it should and it was very dirty. The preamp with tube doesn't give the warmth I think it should give and doesn't sound very punchy but the SS side works fine and sounds great. Upon opening the amp up for cleaning and inspection, I found the caps (C401 and C402) had bubbles in the ends. When I have seen this in power supplies on mixers, this usually meant they needed replacement. I am assuming the same here. I am going to replace the tube just to see if there is a different sound I can get with a different tube. Is there a tube that is recommended of better quality or that may give a different sound that can replace the Sovtec 12AX7WA. I noticed that TubeDepot they state that if you are on a budget..the 12AX7WA is the tube for the job. What if the budget is bigger? Is the 12AX7WA still the tube for the job? And....what brand of cap is recommended to replace the bubbling caps with...they are Samwha 100wV 4700uF HM 85*C. I have replaced power supply caps in mixers with low ESR and 105*C caps with good results. If these same caps are available for this application would they be good to use? Just new to the amp repairs and need some experienced advice.
    Attached Files
    L8R..........Brian
    sigpic

Plug in...Tune up.....ROCK OUT!!

Got new caps..........OEM new....different brand....they say is better than what I had. Also....different tube. No comments on this one....no biggie either.
    L8R..........Brian
    sigpic

Comment

Kick, Baby! In the same boat, I am. I'm ready to replace my D401 PBU804 rectifier and am planning to order some replacement caps for C401 and C402 as well to help offset the shipping charges. What brand did you replace yours with and how are they working? BTW, my HA3500 has a Sovtek 12ax7 and the warmth and punch are pretty nice. What make tube did you end up choosing?

Comment

Hey Chiefmiker.....the caps I used were sprague atom caps of the same value that were in the amp. The original tube in the amp was a Sovtek 12ax7. Don't know if that is stock for this amp but, that's what it had in it when I changed it. I tried a Tunsol reissue 12ax7 and then a JJ/Tesla 12ax7. I liked the JJ tube better. Just sounded better to me. I play an Ibanez prestige 5 string with the EMG pups and bartaloni eq (active system). The amp is working PERFECT! Couldn't ask for better sound out of the aluminum cone drivers.......but.........I'd like to put some new drivers in the cab (4 X 10's) just for a test drive. Low priority right now though. Maybe next year. You might order a couple of different tubes and see what you like the most. Was going to try a Ruby tube and a Electroharmonics tube but sold both of those to a customer before I got my caps in. No problem though.....I love how my amp sounds now! Good luck on the recap on your 3500.
        L8R..........Brian
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info, Brian. BTW... I had what sounds like an identical rig - 5-string Ibey Prestige and all! SR-3005 with Bartolini pickups and HA3500+410XL. Nice tone but never got the punch that I wanted. Still have them all but have been playing 4-strings and driving the 410XL with an Ampeg for the last 2+ years. Did you change your Prestige over to EMGs? Ever play thru the newer Hartke LH's? I've been wondering about how they stack up against the HA's.

Comment

I did change to the EMG's and still have the Bartolini's. I like the sound of the EMG's with the Bartolini EQ. As far as the newer LH's.....I am in the same boat as you. I'd love to see or hear how they stack up against the HA's. Maybe someday when I got the extra cash I'll find out. Until then........I'm gonna keep on keepin' on with the HA3500 and the 4 x 10 cab. Need to get a small combo rig for practice in my living room though. I like to play the music in the surround sound system and them play with it. The Hartke is in my downstairs and the living room is upstairs. Won't be totin' that bigin' up and down the stairs for sure! Lookin at the Behringer combo for 180 clams. If it works ok for practice, it might be the ticket for what I'm needing. I need to go to the Guitar Center in Denver and try one out to see how it sounds. I check on ebay every now and then to see if someone has a small practice amp for my need and have yet to find one. Merry Christmas to ya'!
            L8R..........Brian
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X