Rare Parts Fender Super Twin Output Transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Parts Fender Super Twin Output Transformer

It's too bad Fender doesn't make any Output Transformers for the Super Twin anymore. I mean, it sounds so great and don't people love them? I understand they were only made for a couple years (75 and 76), probably only about 10,000 of them left out there. I would'nt waste any money on those parts either, if i was Fender Boss. haha

Will the Universe answer my call? Are you the one?? If you know ANY information about the Super TWins, or where I can find some Output TRANSFORMERS that are compatible I will be so happy. =)

Thanks for reading.

I had a similar problem trying to find a PT for a Champ 25. No, the little amps not worth it, but I finally sent the original to MM. Paul cloned it, and I fixed what caused to PT to go in the first place. (my nephews 6A fuse over a dead short). Changed the speaker to a Mojo G12H30, and it is a playable little amp.

Comment

MM-as in Mercury Magnetics right?? I believe I found them out just yesterday and it seems they might have the exact replicated version for the super twin.

I'm sure it cost a fortune to have them custom make the Power Transformer for you too. But thankyou for the feedback!

Comment

BTW--who is Paul?? Sounds like the guy to know.

Comment

Paul Patronete is the guy you talk to at MM.
          Yeah I paid $145 for a PT that's about the size of a Deluxe. But some people say that a MM clone is better than original!

Comment

It really wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if you used a stock TR transformer and scrapped the UL design. I've done it, and in my own opinion, it actually sounds better than before.
            John R. Frondelli
            dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

I thought that the Super Twin had 6 output tubes, or am I thinking of a different amp?

Comment

I had one. 6x6L6.

I remember when MM used to be inexpensive. I used to buy the "tone clone" line of MM iron because it was cheaper than Hammond! Not anymore. Now they're marketing everything as a premium priced boutique product and the prices are astronomical. IMO the MM iron is marketed to people with short memories and/or people who don't know any better and are willing to pay through the nose to buy mojo.

You could always buy the Hammond 1650 series for a 6x6L6 application.
                Last edited by bob p; 05-24-2010, 09:48 PM.
                "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
                  I thought that the Super Twin had 6 output tubes, or am I thinking of a different amp?
                  I am actually referring to the 135W Twin, which has 4 x 6L6GC, also sometimes referred to as a Super Twin.
                  John R. Frondelli
                  dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Its important that we're all on the same page, so that we know what one another are talking about. I guess there's some confusion between the colloquial terms that we apply to amps and the names that Fender used to market them.

Both the Fender Super Twin and the Fender Super Twin Reverb were 6x6L6 topology amps that were rated at 180W. Fender never applied the term "Super Twin" to anything else.

Fender did market a 135W ultralinear variant of the Twin Reverb. To my knowledge they marketed this amp as a "135W Twin Reverb," though the schematics actually refer to that amp as "135W amplifier with reverb and vibrato." That circuit also got shared in other amps like the Super Six Reverb, Quad Reverb, Vibrasonic Reverb, though their power ratings were sometimes 100W.

Setting semantics aside, the important take home point is that the Hammond 1600 series of OTs are available for both the 4x6L6 and 6x6L6 topologies, so you don't have to pay boutique prices from the other vendors.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

reviving a necro thread to give some updated information.

there is a peril involved in using the hammond iron to refurb these amps. the UL screen taps on Hammonds are at ~43% (or something like that) and the OEM fender iron can be signficantly lower. I measured the Z ratios on my Super Twin Reverb and found out that the amp doesn't really run in what we like to think of as UL mode. Instead it operates at the low extreme of what some consider UL operation, and what others will call distributed mode. there's a detailed thread around here if you want to search for it.

the difference in power output between43% UL, 12% UL distributed mode, and pentode mode can be significant. make sure you do your homework before fitting the hammond iron or your amp's power output might take a turn for the worse.

there are some good threads here if you'd like to search.

Comment

I think I got one from Weber.
                        It was fine.

Comment

Buddies got the whole amp if you want it!

Comment

You didn't mention where you are located. I can't imagine how much it would cost to ship a Super Twin Reverb. That's one heavy amp. Shipping has got to be way too expensive, so these things tend to trade locally.

Comment

Yeah that would be important. I don't even know what he wanst for it. Just mentioned the other day he was going to sell it. I'm near St Louis.

Comment

Working...
                              X