what is the deal with 5E3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the deal with 5E3

I have a Fender Harvard 5F10 in good stock but not original condition. It is a fairly clean amp up to moderate volumes. It is, of course 2x6V6 p-p fixed bias, ~12 watts allegedly... The 5E3 amps are also ~12w p-p, but descriptions of the sound of them make me think they overdrive more easily at room-friendly volumes, and/or "sing" more easily, for lack of a better word.

For those of you familiar with them, is the 5E3 a whole different world than the 5F10? How much closer could I come by converting the 5F10 to cathode bias? What about lifting the NFB?

How much of the "mojo" is the two input channels, and their interactivity and/or ability to combine them?

I think there're some differences which are responsible for different sounds:
    1: different V1 (6AT6 is roughly half a 12AT7 which has a slightly higher amplification factor than half a 12AY7)
    2: different bias (cathode compared to fixed)
    3. speaker size
    4. cab size.
    The harvards input up to V2 is similar to the 5E3 bright channel.
    Sure the channels of a 5E3 interact and you must decide for yourself if you need that.
    I think most change in sound would be to convert to cathode bias and cut the NFB.
    BUT - I don't think you'll get either amp "singing" without startling the neigbors.

Comment

Working...
    X