Glue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glue

Can anyone recommend a good glue/adhesive for attaching maple/plastic spacers to the baseplate as well as attaching magnets?
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good glue/adhesive for attaching maple/plastic spacers to the baseplate as well as attaching magnets?
    I use 5 minute epoxy. Also a hot melt glue gun comes in handy for some stuff.

I've never glued the spacers or magnets in a humbucker.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I glue the wood/plastic spacer on the outside of the slug coil but I don't glue the keeper bar or the magnet. The polepieces keep the bar in place and I like to be able to swap magnets quick and easy so the magnet is just held in place by the pressure of the bobbin mount screws.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
        I glue the wood/plastic spacer on the outside of the slug coil but I don't glue the keeper bar or the magnet.
        What brand/type of glue are you using?

Comment

I disected a stock pickup out of an Ibanez. It looks as if they used some kind of glue along the edge of the bobbin on the inside where they touch the mag. I tried scratching it off with my fingernail but to no avail. Its hard and shiny and its not wax. There is wax present. They didn't use anything on the bottom where the mag and baseplate touch.

just wondering if anyone else here does something similar...i.e., gluing bobbins to mag and/or baseplate.

I glue the spacers, I don't glue the keeper bar nor mag. As you said, good bobbin attachment screws and potting pretty much tighten up those loose ends.

Comment

I use superglue to glue my spacers, but I use plastic spacers. I also use stick glue on my magnets. I've been thinking about switching to using beeswax instead of stick glue. I've found that putting something on the magnets helps with feedback supression.

Comment

I disected a stock pickup out of an Ibanez. It looks as if they used some kind of glue along the edge of the bobbin on the inside where they touch the mag. I tried scratching it off with my fingernail but to no avail. Its hard and shiny and its not wax. There is wax present. They didn't use anything on the bottom where the mag and baseplate touch.

just wondering if anyone else here does something similar...i.e., gluing bobbins to mag and/or baseplate.

I glue the spacers, I don't glue the keeper bar nor mag. As you said, good bobbin attachment screws and potting pretty much tighten up those loose ends.
              It's just a lacquer like nail varnish.
              sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Poison trap

Depending on the model Im making, sometimes I use a super thin tape between the magnet and the baseplate. The magnet never touches the baseplate. I also like the epoxy....putting it over all the solderd conections befor I tape, and Its a reall bitch to get off therefore resulting in a cut on the wire. Like a automatic boobytrap for prying eyes. Any alteration voids my warrenty therfore........Protecting the design is essential. What a bastard I am.

Comment

What brand/type of glue are you using?
                  I just use the StewMac superglue, the 30 Medium.

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
                    Protecting the design is essential. What a bastard I am.
                    My pickups get epoxyed in the covers! You might get them apart, but not in one piece.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                    X