Old stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old stuff

We have been talking about old times and old things here recently in various places around the forum, and I keep finding myself nostalgic for old times...

50 some plus years ago when I was learning electronics, I used to go down the road to the local TV repair place, look out back in the alley for TV chassis they were throwing away, and much to my mother's disapproval, I'd haul them home and strip them down for parts. "But MAAA, I NEED this stuff!!!"

It was of course all tube stuff then, it would be some years yet before transistors started making any inroads into consumer stuff. Hell, we hadn't even gotten to Nuvistors yet. I loved to save the old tuner assemblies - why I don;t know. I would drill out - by hand - the rivets to free the tube sockets, save the little 3x5" speakers, various odd controls, and of course the resistors and caps. Took a while to learn how to read color codes on caps.

ANd resistors. I tried to unsolder them, but TVs and things were all point to point, wired on terminal strips and to socket pins, and all neatly wrapped around each solder lug. MAny times all I could do was snip off the part leaving whatever lead length there was, and hope for the best.

I learned the color codes and sorted the parts, keeping them in little jars. Eventually I even got a little drawer unit. Dumped the jars in the drawers. Over time that little 12 drawer thing became a 60 drawer thing, and more 60 drawer brothers joined on the shelf. With each organizational expansion, we dumped the drawers into the larger units. Now I have a wall full of 60 drawer units.

You have to know what is in each drawer, so I put little labels on each - 10k, 220k, 470 ohm. They tend to dry up over time, let go and fall off. But in the sequence of drawers, I know what is what. But every so often, I put new stickers on when I use the drawer.

Today I was in the 470 ohm drawer, and there in amoong the flame proof metal films and cc types, is an old 2w resistor. It is from the old days - they used to be about the size of a 10 watt cement resistor. ANd wrapped around it is a small paper label that says 470 ohms. Then scotch tape wrapped around that to hold it on. The part is one I robbed from a TV set 55 years ago, the label because I was not confident in my color codes at the time.

I checked it, it is up to about 570 ohms these days. Who knows, will it stop? Or in another 50 years will it be up to 670 ohms? I'll never know. I'm tossing it, and a few other obvious relics. They have been fun remembrnces, but will mean nothing to whoever owns my parts when I am gone.

At some point I discovered Washington DC had several interesting surplus outlets. Ooooohhh. This was only 10-15 years after world war 2 ended, and there was a ton of military electronics being scrapped. I used to buy radar sets buy the pound. "Let me see, kid, 50 pounds at 10 cents per, that'll be $5."

I have dim recall of taking apart one set that had some small turret boards, and there were some very nice looking 5.1k resistors on them. They were shiny and were 5% instead of the more common 10-20%. They are still in that drawer. I recognize the bent leads.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Hmmm, browser issues with new software...
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Very nice essay there Enzo. My dad had a TV Radio repair shop where I used to scrounge all sorts of neat stuff.

My first job was to clean out the chassis' and test the tubes of every set that came in. If he pulled out the chassis from the case I had to clean the smoke/nicotine film off of the picture tube and the cover safety glass. Most people smoked back then and the difference in how bright the picture was was astonishing. I guess my dad figured that the improvement in the picture would help in selling the repair.

I remember wanting to do a good job on one of the first sets that I was working on and while I had the glass cleaner out, I thought as long as I was testing them, it would be a good thing to clean the glass tubes. Well what I didn't realize was that the glass cleaner would remove the painted on tube numbers as well as the dirt. Dad wasn't real happy about having to try and figure out which tube was which, to return them to the correct sockets. I learned a big lesson that day.

I still have a handful of old resistors and caps that he had in his Tube Caddy. I know that I'll never be able to use them but I'll never be able to toss them either.

Comment

Amen on the nicotine. I worked in the arcade industry for many years, and especially on video games in bars, the CRT screens would get almost opaque. I repaired many a "weak picture" complaint with a bottle of Windex and a rag.

My folks are long gone, and different people live in "my" house now. But my sister took my dad's workbench, and I took most of the tools. Many of those tools are the ones I used growing up. I remember a small pair of dikes - Utica tools - I used all the time. They are older than I am. Still cut great, feel great. Dad had a box full of these little screwdrivers - about the size of the ones with a pcket clip these days, the white plastic ones they print their company name on and hand out - they were brass, and the top end unscrewed. The end piece came off to reveal a smaller screwdriver threaded onto it. And unscrew the end piece from that to reveal a TINY screwdriver. Just a tiny blade sticking out from the end cap. Good for tightening glasses. Why dad had a box of 50 I don't know. Maybe due to his father being a paint salesman. He probably was given them by some hardware store when buying his paint. ANyway, they were real cool, and I still have a few.

I had no power drill or hole punches. All hand tools. Had a Yankee Driver. That is a thing looks like a fat screwdriver, and a little chuck on the end, sorta like an Xcelite 99 chuck. The shaft was spring loaded and had these grooves winding around it. You pushed down on the handle, and the shaft wormed up into the handle, rotating as it did. Two sets of grooves allowed you to switch the direction. My god, it is the same technology as that Slapper onion chopper that Vince sells on TV.
        Retrotechnologist: YANKEE!

ANyway, it had screwdriver bits, but also drill bits. You put the bot on the work, and shove repeatedly to drill or screw. I used to see guys like drywallers and sheet metallers use them in the day before battery drills. Many a hole I drilled with one of those.

Then I had a crank drill. Agaon looks like a screwdriver sorta, with a drill chuck on the end, and a round gear with crank handle on the side. Took regular twist drills. Here is one:
        Goodell Pratt Hand Crank Hand Drill 1890's

I used that a ton. Need a 1" hole for octal socket? Start cranking. Make a circle of small holes, punch out the slug and start filing.

Then there was the augur brace:
        Traditional Woodworker - Brace and Bit
        These had a special chuck that took a four sided base on the bits. The image above shows some augur bits, and I still have dad's expansive bits - little hole saw on the end. But I also had reguklar twist drills for it. You could really lean on that rotating end pad. The crank handle could be used continuously or it also could ratchet.

Then one day I got a power drill for my birthday...

Cool
        Frey Co. Brass Screwdriver Vintage U.S.A. 4 in 1

Nested screwdrivers. The image is of a larger one. Mine were 3 in 1.
        Last edited by tboy; 06-10-2010, 07:13 AM.

Comment

You know what. I could read through this all night long and wouldn't get tired of it. Sometimes when I read a line I find myself with a tear in my eye remembering those "good ole days" when my grandpa (born in 1892) let me watch, when he fixed something. I still have some of his tools too.

Comment

More from the paint salesman I guess. Dad had a box of a gross of carpenter pencils.
            Carpenter pencil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            Carpenter's Pencils
            His were the rectangular flat ones. The lead was also rectangular. You carved it to a chisel point. Not only would the flat pencil not roll away, since you lay the flat side of the lead against a straightedge, when drawing a line on a board, your pressure was against the width of the lead instead of a fine point - didn't break.

My dad was pretty handy with basic cabinet making - he was always building shelves or drawers or storage. A talent I lack. SO he used all these tools a carpenter might. In the day of no power tools, those hand drills above were common to carpenters.

ANyway, I always liked those odd pencils. Red and black in a green box. I don't know if they are still around, probably guys just use a Sharpie these days. Oh, I guess they do still make them.

These days, a chalk line or snap line is a metal housing with a reel of string inside and a winder on the outside. You fill the thing with powdered chalk, which sticks to the string inside. You pull a length of string out, hold it across some surface, pull the middle of the string away and let go, like a bow and arow. A nice striaght line of chalk magically appears on the work. Used by roofers, tilers, anyone needing a line. My dad din't have a fancy one like that. He had a ball of string. Seems to me it was that same cotton loose twist string like you tie up a turkey or a pot roast with. And he had these little half sphere blocks of blue chalk. You put the chalk in your palm flat side out, curve to palm, and you rubbed it along the length of the string to coat it. So there were always these half-domes of blue chalk with string grooves worn into them, sitting around the shop. Haven't seen one in ages, but those little round blue chalks make me think of home.

Comment

Oh holy cats.

I went to some web sites looking for images of these old tools to link to here, and now Google Ads is following me around with ads for a woodworking tool company.

Comment

+1 on a bunch of that stuff. Dad still has the hand crank drill and the plunge ratchet drill/screwdriver. I put a lot of miles on an old rotary tool that was kind of like a Dremel built out of steel and cast metal with a "gun" style removable grip.
                I too liked to go out back of the local TV repair place and cannibalize the junker TV sets. I STILL like taking apart dead electronic doo-hickeys to see what's in there and how they're constructed. I'll remove a few parts that might come in handy for guitar/amp/effects like fuses, caps, cabling, jacks. I have been fascinated with vacuum tubes since I was old enough to peer into the back of a TV set and watch them light up. Seems like I was destined to like tube amps for guitar.

There's a local reclamation/salvage/surplus warehouse that I can not be allowed to visit too often because I'll come back with a big bag full of parts and crap that was just too cool to leave on the shelf!

Comment

Elsewhere there is a thread on appreciating old fender schematics as art. I appreciate old tubes that way - I guess I enjoy elegant industrial design.

Even back when I was 12, I thought the 1B3 was just a dynamite looking tube. The inner thing was round and smooth, no posts and grid wires hanging about, and the top of the plate thing just came out the top to a cap. The high voltage lead went on there. But my all time fave tube is the little short octal 6H6. They came in glass, but the metal ones ar the cool ones. They are wider than they are tall.

Fun to take apart those old TVs, but all the caps in them were either ceramic or those wax covered things. TVs with their high voltage have a static field that attracts dust. SO working in there you get your hands covered with this dirt/wax stuff thqat really doesn;t wash off all that easily. And those old dust/wax TVs had a characteristic aroma too.

Remember selenium rectifiers? Looked like a baseboard room heater radiator. Square fins stacked. Came in all sizes. The square plates could be an inch on a side of 5 inches, and the rectifier - usually a bridge or half bridge - could have just a few plates or a lot. I have a box of them somewhere. Now ther is something that will never get used. And if you are an old timer, you wil have encountered a selenium rectifier when it burnt out. It makes such a stink, and NOTHING smells like that. A sort of burning rotten cabbage smell.

Comment

Now i hate this new software version

Great posts. Besides , they touch me inside in more than one place.
                    I didn't inherit tools of the trade, because my Father was a Country Doctor, but still use a hammer proudly made at School from a 3 inch length of square iron bar stock, a couple files and a lot of elbow grease, plus 1/2 of a Ferrite bar antenna from my first Electronics project (a "Galena crystal"/germanium point contact diode receiver) and the business part of my first "Central 200H" brand analog multimeter. Boy, was I proud of it !!!
                    Believe it or not, I still have a needle multimeter on my bench, and often use it, just not to loose the knack .... plus I still sometimes use a slide rule, which for some problems is *much* better than any calculator.
                    When I posted the answer written above, the f*ck*ng new software told me I was not authorized and told me to re-login.
                    Also see how Enzo's first post was crushed into an ugly 28 character narrow column, making it occupy (needlessly) 2 or 3 times the regular space plus breaking phases into garbled meaning ones.
                    Please do something.
                    It isn't that I won't get used to it, I simply do not want to get used to this.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks for the stories, I too was an electronics junky from a young age. My uncle took me in when I was 4, and he was a Chief AET in the Navy. I wasn't very old when we had the neighborhood wired with surplus sound powered phones, with telephone company waste wire.
                      I didn't see any money in the electronics field when I got out of the Navy, but I have certaintly used what I learned over the years especially the last 20 years cars. Who would know back then, that a high resistance on the throttle position sensor would cause a no start. Basic electronics is what we work with today.

Comment

People often speak of having some skill to "fall back on." Well, the electronics I learned as a kid is that skill for me, and frankly I have fallen back on it. I have the luxury of supporting myself with it, but not particularly well. Looking for a meaningful position that makes use of my skills and experience, I'd rather set down the soldering iron.

I took a couple years of electronics in high school, but really I was past the stuff I was learning from my own experience. As much as I would love to teach, the local community college no longer even has an electronics program. There has not been an opening for electronics instructor for YEARS.

I started in about 1954 with a crystal radio kit my father got me for Xmas. It had a galena crystal in it. That crystal, set in lead, is around here somewhere in a box of stuff, not sure where. I'd recognize it instantly if I saw it. We made a sensing "whisker" from a bent open safety pin. The crystal was screwed down to the base, and the safety pin next to it. Then against the springyness of the pin, you lifted it up and put the point down on the crystal surface. You had to move it around to find a sensitive spot. The pin point against the galena crystal acted as a diode. That detected the AM radio signal. The rest of the kit had a nice vaqriable cap for tuning, and I think we wound a coil on a toilet paper tube. A long piece of wire for an antenna. The kit was built on a square of masonite over a paper template. Used Fahnestock clips. Then there was a corregated cardboard box it fit into. The box was red and painted to look like a table radio, sorta. The cap shaft stuck out a hole, and you stuck a knob on it. There was even a "dial" printed on the front of the box. From that humble beginning...

Comment

Google is following me

Yesterday I went out looking for some smilie files to replace a few that have been missing here for a while. I found what I needed and replaced the missing files, and when I came back here to resume browsing the forums, all the ads I saw for the next several minutes were about smilies!
                          -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Google is following me
                            And everybody else.
                            Neither conspiracy theory no paranoia, but these guys *live* peeping over your shoulder everything you write, and pour this into huge , cross-indexed databases.
                            What happened to privacy, freedom, and all that?
                            I find it a PITA.
                            Of course, after this very post is read and analyzed by them, they'll offer me Psychological counseling (because of the "paranoia" word), SQL training (because of "databases") and do not even want to imagine what they will offer after the "pain in the ass" bit.
                            Mind you, I do not find it funny at all, it's something that really pisses me off.
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Well, nobody's *making* you use the Internet!

I fondly remember an ad-free internet that was only accessible to academics, in the same way that Enzo reminisces over crystal radios.

I'm too young to remember tubes, but I love them anyway. They look great, and don't come in surface mount versions.
                              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
                              X