WTH??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTH??

I hope this isn't anyone that comes here. Matter of fact I just know it cant be. The level of professionalism here is second to none. This is the most un proffesional ebay listing and garbage I have ever read. Check it out...

Handwound PAF electric guitar pickup hand wound - eBay (item 230486725209 end time Jul-11-10 19:05:32 PDT)

Sounds like he's talking about himself the way he's describing the pricing in the listing and some other things he mentions.
    Last edited by kevinT; 06-14-2010, 03:59 AM.
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

kindof funny way to market.

fwiw, I've learned the hard way to be a little skeptical of the ebayers who brag a bit too much at the expense of other sellers. Reminds me of when I bought a used strat from a fellow on ebay who claimed all sorts of professional guitar setup credentials, saying he - unlike other sellers - knew exactly what he was doing and if you wanted a real professional low fast setup straight ready-to-play out of the box - then he was the guy.

Well, needless to say, the setup on that guitar was what got me started in learning about setting up my own guitar. It was a low setup alright, the action was so low it was unplayable. Everything was fretting out all over the fretboard. Took it to a local shop who did a bit of work on it and it was somewhat better, but it still felt choked to me when I got it back. Since then I've learned alot so that I can do my own setups, including that I prefer moderate to high action with a little relief in the neck - and to avoid sellers who brag at the expense of others.

Comment

I like this line:

It is scatter wound to vintage specs with plain enamel wire.
        Vintage scatter wound PAFs?
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

He says he's the guitar tech at the local music store, his eBay profile says Lincoln City Oregon.

It's been like 15 years since I've been down that way, isn't Lincoln City a small seaside town out on highway 101?.

Google comes up with a music store called "Output Music Co." at the Tanger outlet center, wonder if that's the one.

Wonder if he's actually making them him/her self? and retailing his/her pickups at $79.99 and saying "If price is your concern, get a set of Seymour Duncans" seems kind of strange.
          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

If price is your concern, get a set of Seymour Duncans. You get what you pay for.
            I wonder if there's something I can say to him about invoking the Seymour Duncan name. Funny thing is, if I'm the consumer I'm probably reading that thinking, "Okay, I will, thanks for the advice".

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
              I wonder if there's something I can say to him about invoking the Seymour Duncan name. Funny thing is, if I'm the consumer I'm probably reading that thinking, "Okay, I will, thanks for the advice".
              Hey, this guy has been winding for TWO YEARS! Surely he knows more than Seymour. Plus Seymour sold out and went big time. We know that Seymour doesn't really wind his pickups, plus that's not even Seymour, but an actor that he hired.

Anyone ever hear of Zackery guitars? He does the same crap, and puts down everyone more successful or talented than him. Only he also seems crazy, so it's more entertaining. The eBay guy is just sad and not funny because he believes his own spew.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

He replied to my message to him, I was nice and just ask that he keep it a little more professional. I'm going to read it now and see. May post his rebuttal.

Comment

Hey brother, When I don't make a sale for two straight months due to idiots giving away pickups at ridiculously low prices, I have to say something. I want the customer to understand the difference between their crap and what I have worked hard over the years to produce. If you are not giving your stuff away then you are not the winder I am talking about.

His reply... I mean I get what he is saying, really i do but... No slaes for 2 months?? I'd be wondering if something else was wrong, not look at guys on ebay who sell at stupid low prices. Their quality will find them out sooner or later, I wouldn't even waste time trashing them, that just brings him to their level and lets them know they are winning. Oh well, I wish him the best of luck.

Comment

He says his pickups are crafted from American made materials. I bet the only part of the assembly that is USA made is the magnet wire.
                    They don't make them like they used to... We do.
                    www.throbak.com
                    Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

He has to be a lurker here as all the verbiage he is using as far as what makes his pickups stand out come from here, Possum's site, other maker's sites, etc. I think there are better ways to make your product stand out than bashing your competition. There is room enough in the industry for people with good sounding pickups without resorting to bashing others.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                        Anyone ever hear of Zackery guitars? He does the same crap, and puts down everyone more successful or talented than him. Only he also seems crazy, so it's more entertaining.
                        Careful David. That zackery dude googles his own name, follow all trafic to his web page and pester all and everyone writing anything about him that isn't to his highness liking. We do not want him to come over here...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
                          Careful David. That zackery dude googles his own name, follow all trafic to his web page and pester all and everyone writing anything about him that isn't to his highness liking. We do not want him to come over here...
                          Are you kidding?!

It'd be *great*!

Zachary would start bloviating in his usual not-so-borderline-personality-disorder way, we'd laugh at him and tell him to go away, the Moderator would play Whack-A-Mole and ban the Zach's aliases as they pop up, we'd declare Zach a nuisance, and complain en masse to his ISP and get him banned so he'd have to migrate his web site.

That kind of fun is priceless, but then, as a child, I used to throw rocks at hornet nests.

-drh
                          "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

We'd play Whack-A-Zack!

Comment

Meh. It's a little aggressive, as ad copy, for my tastes, but no great sin. And you know what? The range of acceptable price-points for pickups is so constrained (e.g., pickups have nowhere near the range of price-points that pedals or 5W amps do), and the market so crowded, that the first instinct of anyone attempting to enter the market is to tear down the competition, simply because it is impossible to win/sell on the basis of a features-for-money argument when it comes to pickups. And if the seller intends to make their rent/mortgage and car payments by selling pickups, there is a little too much riding on it to simply stick to: "These are decent dependable pickups that sound the way you expect them to. Please support a local manufacturer."

I've wound a bunch of pickups for myself. And believe me, if you've wound them completely by hand, it doesn't take too many pickups for a person to get a little testy and disconnected from reality!

Comment

Working...
                              X