Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A day wasted on pickup installation!

let the saga begin!

I bought a calibrated set of Bare Knuckle "Nailbomb" pickups to install into my Les Paul and started fitting them this afternoon. I removed the original pickups and thought it would be a straight forward swap. How wrong I was!

When I hooked them up the bridge pickup didn't work. I wasn't paying full attention while doing it and touched the capacitor with the soldering iron. It was after I heard a pop that I realised my mistake.

Realising this I grabbed another cap and stuck it on. No joy. I'll bullet point my troubleshooting;

- swapped the bridge to the neck vol and tone and it worked.
    - tried the capacitor from the neck on the bridge controls and still no joy.
    - wired it up for the 2 vol, 1 tone config with cap from neck on tone pot. Still no joy.
    - used a multimeter to check the bridge vol pot and, right enough, shows 0 when on full and off the scale when completely off.
    - tapping the connections from the 3 way toggle to the pots proved that the switch wiring is ok.

It's all pointing toward the pot being dodgy, but it's worked fine since I bought the guitar.

I am well stuck, anyone got any ideas?

First, test the pickup. Atach the two wires to the dmm probes, and tap the polepieces with a screwdriver. If it goes up 40mv or so, it's working. Then hardwire the pickup in the guitar without the volume pot being in Anyway, who needs stinkin volume pot

Bye.

Max.

Comment

I have tested both the pickups on the neck pots and they both work.

Comment

Well, simple, replace the volume pot by the tone pot, and leave the tone pot out of the circuit in the meantime, while you're waiting for a replacement. Well, see where i'm heading.

Comment

yeah, i tried using the tone pot for vol in the 2 vol 1 tone config, still no luck.

Comment

you might have over heated the pot. Time for a new one!
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

is testing for that easy with a multimeter?

Comment

Pup Hook up

Also check the groundsUnless you were real careless your pots should be good too I bet its something simple

Comment

Working...
                X