super twin fuse problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• super twin fuse problem

My 1975 Fender Super Twin has been sitting a few years and upon firing her up again- blew the fuse after about 10-15 seconds. Replaced the recomended 6 1/4 amp fuse and it blew after 10-15 seconds also. I had friend tell me that I should be using a slow blow fuse...? Not sure about that one; but it went also. Please help.
    Also, in reading other posts I saw where someone had mentioned the use of the Super Twin by Nugent. Although it was a little before my time, I have seen pictures of him using it -always six of them. Does anywone know... did he just turn those things on 10 and let it go? Was there anything to his amp setup other than six super twins on 10?
    Thank you in advance...
    Last edited by ctt; 07-05-2010, 11:36 PM.

Originally posted by ctt View Post
    My 1975 Fender Super Twin has been sitting a few years and upon firing her up again- blew the fuse after about 5-10 seconds. Replaced the recomended 6 1/4 amp fuse and it blew after 5-10 seconds also. I had an old timer tell me that I should be using a slow blow fuse...? Not sure about that one; but it went also. Please help.
    It is likely that either
    (a) your bias circuit for the outputs is shot, letting the tubes pull too much current and pop the fuse; this includes corrosion keeping a good bias from getting to a good tube.
    or
    (b) your main filter caps are shot, leaking enough to pop the fuse
    or
    (c ) both of the above

If you have to ask the question the way you did, get the amp to a competent tech. Now.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

When I saw Ted Nugent back in the Super Twin days, he would stack each of the Super Twins on top of a 2- 15" Showman cabinet. As for settings, I have no idea but it was LOUD!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
        When I saw Ted Nugent back in the Super Twin days, he would stack each of the Super Twins on top of a 2- 15" Showman cabinet. As for settings, I have no idea but it was LOUD!
        Thank you for that information. I appreciate it. I have not seen the super twin used much other that seeing pics of Ted Nugent... never knew, before, what they were stacked on. -thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X