Shielded wire grounded at one end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shielded wire grounded at one end

I've seen drawings that show a shielded wire from the input jack and/or the volume control to the preamp tube, with one end of the shield grounded and the other end insulated. Sometimes I see the shield grounded at the input/pot end. Sometimes I see the shield grounded at the tube socket end. Is one way better than the other, or does it not matter?

Thanks

A shield grounded at only one end is called a "telescoping shield". It is used to prevent ground loops and noise, because there can be no current flowing through the shield, so it acts only a screen against interference. It is usually grounded at the source end, or the lowest impedance side.

RA

Comment

Thanks. Does that mean ground the input jack end for an input jack, and the pot end for a volume pot?

John

Comment

Originally posted by Johnrcurry View Post
        Thanks. Does that mean ground the input jack end for an input jack, and the pot end for a volume pot?
        The rule of thumb for shields is to ground the quiet end. Usually this is the lowest signal end.
        Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

When you do up a shield this way, the shield is not part of the circuit and is essentially acting as an extension of the chassis.

I typically ground the "input" end of the shielded cable and I always go directly to the chassis via a solder lug.
            Jon Wilder
            Wilder Amplification

Originally posted by m-fine
            I don't know about you, but I find it a LOT easier to change a capacitor than to actually learn how to play well
            Originally posted by JoeM
            I doubt if any of my favorite players even own a soldering iron.

Comment

Working...
            X